[comp.sources.wanted] X Windows ANSI Terminal Emulator?

nkn@Solbourne.COM (Neil Nelson) (10/10/90)

I am running X11 R4 on a color Solbourne (Sun4 compatible) workstation.
Sometimes I use tip to call into local IBM Bulletin Boards.  Using ProComm+
at home on my PC, I can emulate an ANSI terminal, and see nifty colors and
graphics from these BBS's.  But from my workstation, I have to tell the BBS's
I am using a dumb terminal because if they send ANSI codes my screen gets all
messed up.  Since it's probably safe to assume that my SPARC machine at work
is more powerful than my 8088 at home :-), I figure there ought to be a way to
see these nifty colors and graphics here.  So I guess I am looking for a Public
Domain ANSI terminal emulator for X.  Does anybody know where I might find
such a beast?  Or perhaps I just need the correct TERMCAP entry...

An example of what one BBS sent me is:
^[[40m
^[[39m^[[5C^[[0;1;32;40mIMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM5 ^[[33mWILDCAT! HIGH LEVEL MAIN
MENU ^
[[32mFMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM;
     :^[[67C:

This showed up as:
     IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM5 WILDCAT! HIGH LEVEL MAIN MENU FMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM;
except it didn't look that pretty.  Sometimes I get wide spaces between
letters, and other times a letter will partially over-strike the previous
letter.

--
Neil K. Nelson			UUCP:		{uunet,boulder}!stan!nkn
Solbourne Computer, Inc.	Domain:		nkn@solbourne.COM

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (10/10/90)

In article <1990Oct9.170022.4696@Solbourne.COM> nkn@Solbourne.COM (Neil Nelson) writes:
   So I guess I am looking for a Public Domain ANSI terminal emulator
   for X.  Does anybody know where I might find such a beast?  Or
   perhaps I just need the correct TERMCAP entry...

xterm emulates a vt102 which is basically ANSI.  But you mentioned
colors, so you'd probably want to check out
expo.lc.smit.edu:contrib/color_xterm.tar.Z.  I don't know whether its
ideas of colors is related to your PC's ideas of colors (both in
representation and value), but it's worth a try.

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (10/11/90)

Nelson) writes:

> ... I figure there ought to be a way to
> see these nifty colors and graphics here.

The escape sequences in your message are ANSI color sequences.
Try the color xterm, recently posted to comp.sources.x and in contrib
on expo.lcs.mit.edu.   Some bboards may make assumptions about special
graphics character sets (like the IBM pc's) -- those still won't work
unless you can find a font with all of the special characters.

Color xterm will take care of any ^[[...m sequence, though.

Best of luck,
    Erik

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (10/11/90)

In article <BOB.90Oct10102818@volitans.MorningStar.Com>,
bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
> expo.lc.smit.edu:contrib/color_xterm.tar.Z.  I don't know whether its
>ideas of colors is related to your PC's ideas of colors (both in
> representation and value), but it's worth a try.

Oops.  Typo.  That's expo.lcs.mit.edu.    The color xterm's colors are the
same as the PC's (by default -- you can change them with a resource).

-- Erik

>The escape sequences in your message are ANSI color sequences.

Actually, I think that's "ISO 6429 color sequences"; my copy of ANSI
X3.24 doesn't list escape sequences to specify colors except in Appendix
H which mentiones ISO 6429.

It *also* indicates that <ESC>[39m is, at least in the ISO 6429 draft
the author of Appendix H had, "reserved for future standardization", and
that was one of the escape sequences used in the message.

Perhaps the final version of 6429 specified that it selects a graphics
character set, or made it available for private use.  Or, if it was still
reserved for future standardization, perhaps some bozo doing DOS
software thought "reserved for future standardization" meant "hey, have
fun, use this escape sequence for whatever you want, *we* don't plan to
use it for anything!" and used it for selecting a graphics character
set.

Given that it was used before the big IMMMMMM...MM5 string, I suspect it
may well be selecting a graphics character set.