[comp.sources.wanted] Alternatives to rn wanted.

dansmith@olsen.UUCP (Dan Smith) (10/23/90)

What can I use, other than rn, to read netnews?  Inventive
shell scripts, etc... would also be appreciated.

                                                    _
Dan Smith, Software Engineer          _   /\ _     / \
Olsen and Associates              /\ / \ /  / \ /\/ . \/\
Seefeldstrasse 233               /  \   /_ /   /  \.  /_ \  /\
CH-8008 Zurich, Switzerland     /    \ //v\   /  . \  /v\ \/
                                      \/vvv\ /  .   \/vvv\ \
email: dansmith@olsen             /\  /vvv__\__i__  /vvvvv\ \
                                 /  \/vvv/_\______\/vvvvvvv\ \
Ph. 01/55 22 24                 /   /vvv/___\_____/vvvvvvvvv\
Fax 01/55 22 82                    /vvvv| o |  o /vvvvvvvvvvv\
                                ________|___|______|__|||_____

Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM (10/24/90)

Dan> What can I use, other than rn, to read netnews?  Inventive
Dan> shell scripts, etc... would also be appreciated.

GNUS... see news group gnu.emacs.gnus.  Many "cool cats" use it.

Oh look, I posted a page of the manual:

File: gnus  Node: Introduction, Prev: Top, Up: Top, Next: Installation

Introduction
************

  GNUS is a program for reading and writing USENET news using GNU Emacs.
This manual documents the use and simple customization of GNUS.

  Unlike other conventional newsreaders such as rn which was (:-) the
most popular newsreader in the world, GNUS runs inside the GNU Emacs
editor as a subsystem.  This means that there is no need to invoke an
editor when composing articles or mail.  The reading and writing of
articles can be done in the same Emacs environment you usually work in.

  Like rrn, a remote version of rn, GNUS can use computer networks for
retrieving articles.  This means that there is no need to have a local
copy of the news spool, to mount a remote file system over the network,
or to run Emacs on a remote machine.  Its great advantage is to balance
loads and exploit resources of the entire computer system in a
distributed environment.  The protocol used by GNUS is "NNTP", the
Network News Transfer Protocol, defined by RFC977.

  Unlike rrn, GNUS can talk to many NNTP servers easily.  The only thing
you have to do is to create startup files for each NNTP server.

  Like other libraries of GNU Emacs, GNUS is completely written in Emacs
lisp.  This means that GNUS is highly extensible and customizable just
like GNU Emacs.  It is possible to change the behavior of GNUS and
extend its functions by using variables and hooks.

  GNUS is pronounced *"NUZ"*.  Never call it *"ghu-NUZ"* nor
*"ghu-NAS"*.

  This manual is currently in progress and thus is incomplete.  Your
suggestions, bug fixes, and contributions are welcome.
--
Dan_Jacobson@ATT.COM  Naperville IL USA  +1 708-979-6364

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct24.160550.12521@cbnewse.att.com>, Dan_Jacobson@ATT writes:

| Dan> What can I use, other than rn, to read netnews?  Inventive
| Dan> shell scripts, etc... would also be appreciated.
|
| GNUS... see news group gnu.emacs.gnus.  Many "cool cats" use it.

And other "cool cats" use Gnews.  See newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnews.
(Gnews is much more rn-like... I can go back and forth easily.)

Just another Gnews-reader,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

epeterso@houligan.encore.com (Eric Peterson) (10/25/90)

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:

> [...]
| |
| | Dan> What can I use, other than rn, to read netnews?  Inventive
| | Dan> shell scripts, etc... would also be appreciated.
| |
| | GNUS... see news group gnu.emacs.gnus.  Many "cool cats" use it.
|
| And other "cool cats" use Gnews.  See newsgroup gnu.emacs.gnews.
| (Gnews is much more rn-like... I can go back and forth easily.)

But power news readers use NN ... at least until Randal writes a
Perl-based newsreader :-)

Eric
--
       Eric Peterson <> epeterson@encore.com <> uunet!encore!epeterson
   Encore Computer Corp. * Ft. Lauderdale, Florida * (305) 587-2900 x 5208

brian@micro.umn.edu (10/26/90)

>| Dan> What can I use, other than rn, to read netnews?  Inventive
>| Dan> shell scripts, etc... would also be appreciated.

Use nn if you can.  Have fun with the man page.

Brian <--= I'm using nn right now.
--
signature: No such file or directory

ns@iddth.id.dk (Nick Sandru (langt haar)) (11/01/90)

nn is the best.

No news (is good news)

--

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov01.102021.6545@iddth.id.dk> ns@iddth.id.dk (Nick Sandru (langt haar)) writes:
>nn is the best.
>
>No news (is good news)
this is availible ftp from hoss.unl.edu (anonymous); it works fine; not
sure what the system requirements are for it; all i had to do was to
compile the program and ask the sysman to include me on a list(???)

-Savel