[comp.sources.wanted] GNU BASH supporting POSIX job-control?

david@glance.ch (David Mosberger) (10/19/90)

Is there a BASH version supporting POSIX job-control? We are currently
using version 1.04.4 on our ULTRIX and SV3 boxes. It would be great if
we could use the job-control facility we have under ULTRIX on System V too.

	Thank's in advance!

		--dave
--
David Mosberger						Glance Ltd.
david@glance.ch						Gewerbestrasse 4

--

tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Oct18.202025.7901@glance.ch> david@glance.ch (David
Mosberger) writes:

$ Is there a BASH version supporting POSIX job-control? We are currently
$ using version 1.04.4 on our ULTRIX and SV3 boxes. It would be great if
$ we could use the job-control facility we have under ULTRIX on System V too.

Job control that the shell gives you hooks into support that the kernel
provides.  If it isn't in the kernel, the shell can't do anything to
give it to you.  Job control isn't in the System V Release 3 kernel, so
there's nothing you can do (other than upgrade your operating system).
--
        Tom Reingold
        tr@samadams.princeton.edu  OR  ...!princeton!samadams!tr

karl_kleinpaste@cis.ohio-state.edu (11/06/90)

tr@samadams.princeton.edu writes:
   Job control that the shell gives you hooks into support that the kernel
   provides.  If it isn't in the kernel, the shell can't do anything to
   give it to you.

It is possible to simulate 80% or more of BSD-style job control under
SysVRel3 (and previous) with judicious use of ptrace(2).

--karl

blm@6sceng.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (11/06/90)

In article <4226@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
|In article <1990Oct18.202025.7901@glance.ch> david@glance.ch (David
|Mosberger) writes:
|$ Is there a BASH version supporting POSIX job-control? We are currently
|$ using version 1.04.4 on our ULTRIX and SV3 boxes. It would be great if
|$ we could use the job-control facility we have under ULTRIX on System V too.
|Job control isn't in the System V Release 3 kernel, so
|there's nothing you can do (other than upgrade your operating system).

Well, there's not really any such thing as THE System V Release 3 kernel,
as most vendors have dropped their own cruft into the one distributed by
AT&T.  At the least the SCO version has POSIX job control, so a version
of bash should be able to be built providing job control on at least
SCO's SVR3.  Whether it has been or not, I don't know, but it should be
possible.
--
Brian L. Matthews	blm@6sceng.UUCP

>Job control that the shell gives you hooks into support that the kernel
>provides.  If it isn't in the kernel, the shell can't do anything to
>give it to you.  Job control isn't in the System V Release 3 kernel, so
>there's nothing you can do (other than upgrade your operating system).

Well, *some* S5R3 ports *do* have job control; I think a number of the
386 ports have had - wait for it - POSIX job control added to them.  I
assume that's why he's asking, and why he specifically mentioned POSIX
job control....

peter@orfeo.radig.de (Peter Radig) (11/07/90)

In <4226@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold) writes:
>In article <1990Oct18.202025.7901@glance.ch> david@glance.ch (David
>Mosberger) writes:
>$ Is there a BASH version supporting POSIX job-control? We are currently
>$ using version 1.04.4 on our ULTRIX and SV3 boxes. It would be great if
>$ we could use the job-control facility we have under ULTRIX on System V too.
>Job control that the shell gives you hooks into support that the kernel
>provides.  If it isn't in the kernel, the shell can't do anything to
>give it to you.  Job control isn't in the System V Release 3 kernel, so
>there's nothing you can do (other than upgrade your operating system).

But Interactive's Sys V 3.2 Rel 2.2 DOES support POSIX-style job control
and I'm interested in this Bash modifications, too, since I tried it
to change the source but didn't succeed.

Peter
--
Peter Radig
Voice: +49 69 746972

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (11/07/90)

As quoted from <4226@rossignol.Princeton.EDU> by tr@samadams.princeton.edu (Tom Reingold):
+---------------
| In article <1990Oct18.202025.7901@glance.ch> david@glance.ch (David
| Mosberger) writes:
|
| $ Is there a BASH version supporting POSIX job-control? We are currently
| $ using version 1.04.4 on our ULTRIX and SV3 boxes. It would be great if
| $ we could use the job-control facility we have under ULTRIX on System V too.
|
| Job control that the shell gives you hooks into support that the kernel
| provides.  If it isn't in the kernel, the shell can't do anything to
| give it to you.  Job control isn't in the System V Release 3 kernel, so
| there's nothing you can do (other than upgrade your operating system).
+---------------

SCO UNIX, among others, provides kernel job control --- but it is POSIX job
control, which is subtly (but incompatibly) different from BSD job control.
I, too, would like to see this added to BASH.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN

news@usenet.ins.cwru.edu (11/08/90)

David Mosberger wrote:
>| $ Is there a BASH version supporting POSIX job-control?

Brandon Allbery replied:
>SCO UNIX, among others, provides kernel job control --- but it is POSIX job
>control, which is subtly (but incompatibly) different from BSD job control.

Not to worry; it's not *that* different.  I have a version of bash with
Posix job control; it has run on SCO, ISC, Ultrix 3.[01], AIX 3.1, SunOS 4.1,
and HP-UX 7.0 successfully.

It should be in the next release of bash, which will be 1.06.  When that
will be I cannot say.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey
Network Services Group			``I die, Horatio''