[comp.sources.wanted] Reading PRN:-port

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) (11/01/90)

Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
MS-DOS machine. For example when I connect 2 computer via this port,
how can I make them talk?

Joep,

Joep Mathijssen
TNO Institute for Perception    Phone : +31 34 63 562 11
P.O. Box 23          		Fax   : +31 34 63 539 77
3769 ZG  Soesterberg    	E-mail: uunet!hp4nl.nluug.nl!tnosoes!joep
The Netherlands         	    or: joep@izf.tno.nl

js@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Jeffrey A. Shorey) (11/01/90)

From article <1393@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, by joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen):
> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
                                     ^^^^
If you look in the schematics for any parallel you will find it is a one way
set of registers.  the only line that comes in is some sort of acknowledge
line.
   Therefore you have two choices: make you own bidirectional parallel port
(5 or 6 chips, with buffers and 8-bit gates) or use the serial port.  If you
really want to build one, I've done it and have the schematics running around
someplace...

- Jeff Shorey

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (11/05/90)

In article <1393@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl>, joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:
> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
> MS-DOS machine. For example when I connect 2 computer via this port,
> how can I make them talk?

There was an article about this in a recent copy of Microsoft Systems Journal.
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
*** NB *** Do NOT use the return path in the article header ***************

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (11/09/90)

joep@tnosoes.izf.tno.nl (Joep Mathijssen) writes:

> Looking for a program that lets me READ the parallel-port (PRN:) on a
> MS-DOS machine. For example when I connect 2 computer via this port,
> how can I make them talk?
>
> Joep,

  A company called GetC Software in Vancouver, B.C. markets a
product called File Shuttle which permits high-speed transfers between
PCs using parallel ports.  The program  runs on each machine and a
hardware device they call a "rocket socket" and a standard parallel cable
are all that's needed.
  It sells for about $100 Cdn.

  The company's address is  GetC Software Inc.
                            1280 Seymour Street
                            Vancouver, B.C.  Canada
                            V6B 3N9

  Their phone number is +1 604 684-3230

Dave McCrady                     |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems          |
13324-138 Street                 |  BBS:   (403)-454-6093  300-9600 bps (HST)
Edmonton, AB Canada  T5L 2B4     |  USENET (403) 452-3254  300-2400 bps