[comp.sources.wanted] PD fortune program or data format for Sun

mark@kraken.ucsd.edu (Mark Anderson) (10/30/90)

I would like to build my own database of fortunes.  The
man page for the fortune programs says that it will take
and optional [filename].  No one locally seems to know
what that format is or where any documentation on it is.

Alternately, if there is source for a public domain program,
I could use it instead.

Thanks for any help.
mark
mark@cs.ucsd.edu

hammes@popper.informatik.uni-kl.de (Stefan Hammes/Moskito) (11/03/90)

mark@kraken.ucsd.edu (Mark Anderson) writes:

>I would like to build my own database of fortunes.  The
>man page for the fortune programs says that it will take
>and optional [filename].  No one locally seems to know
>what that format is or where any documentation on it is.

>Alternately, if there is source for a public domain program,
>I could use it instead.

>Thanks for any help.
>mark
>mark@cs.ucsd.edu

i don't think its a good idea to try to generate an own fortune-file
in the system-fortune-file-format. i think the better way is to write
some 'fortune-utilities', which can be ported to every system.

i have written two of them:

the first one generates from a textual fortune-list an indexed
fortune file (similar to the system-fortune-file).
the textual format is important, because you can edit your
fortune-file with a normal text-editor and then 'compile' it.

the second one randomly extracts one of the fortunes of the
indexed fortune-file (is therefore a replacement for the /usr/games/fortune).

if anyone is interested in these utitlities, please let me know.

--Stefan Hammes

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Stefan Hammes                       | hammes@informatik.uni-kl.de          |
| University of Kaiserslautern        |                                      |
| AG Systemsoftware                   |                                      |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

jpr@jpradley.uucp (Jean-Pierre Radley) (11/10/90)

In article <13689@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> mark@kraken.ucsd.edu (Mark Anderson) writes:
>I would like to build my own database of fortunes.  The
>man page for the fortune programs says that it will take
>and optional [filename].  No one locally seems to know
>what that format is or where any documentation on it is.
>
>Alternately, if there is source for a public domain program,
>I could use it instead.

In Library 11 of the UnixForum on CompuServe, there's a handful of
fortune/cookie programs.

 Jean-Pierre Radley          HIGH-Q	     jpr@jpradley	CIS: 72160,1341