[comp.sources.wanted] spice

anderson@cme-durer.ARPA (William E. Anderson) (07/27/88)

I know this question has been asked previously but I never
saw any responses posted.  Is there a public domain version
of spice available which will run on a Sun?

--
NAME:   William E. Anderson            TELE: (301) 975-2423
USMAIL: National Bureau of Standards   ARPA: anderson@cme-durer.arpa

gpj@doc.ic.ac.uk (Gregory Jennings) (10/24/90)

please could someone tell me where i could get a copy of spice or give me
more information on the history of this package (ie is it still in the
public realm) thanks .

rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) (10/25/90)

In <2392@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> gpj@doc.ic.ac.uk (Gregory Jennings) writes:

>please could someone tell me where i could get a copy of spice or give me
>more information on the history of this package (ie is it still in the
>public realm) thanks .

Please post.  More want to know.  Thanks.

Rob

--
Rob Kurver                          rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl
Computational Physics Group         rob@pact.nl

leoh@hardy.hdw.csd.harris.com (Leo Hinds) (10/25/90)

In article <rob.656845834@dutncp8> rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) writes:
>In <2392@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> gpj@doc.ic.ac.uk (Gregory Jennings) writes:

>>please could someone tell me where i could get a copy of spice or give me
>>more information on the history of this package (ie is it still in the
>>public realm) thanks .

>Please post.  More want to know.  Thanks.

Last I heard it is still Copyrighted code, but PD.  Available for a "handling
fee" from UC Bezerkeley of ~$150 ... multiple formats (tapes & floppies)

No connection with UCB

leoh@hdw.csd.harris.com         	Leo Hinds       	(305)973-5229
Gfx ... gfx ... :-) whfg orpnhfr V "ebg"grq zl fvtangher svyr lbh guvax V nz n
creireg ?!!!!!!? ... znlor arkg gvzr

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (10/30/90)

In article <rob.656845834@dutncp8>, rob@dutncp8.tudelft.nl (Rob Kurver) says:

>In <2392@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> gpj@doc.ic.ac.uk (Gregory Jennings) writes:
>
>>please could someone tell me where i could get a copy of spice or give me
>>more information on the history of this package (ie is it still in the
>>public realm) thanks .
>
>Please post.  More want to know.  Thanks.

This is a repost of a previous summary. Perhaps somebody will start
up a 'frequently asked for sources' posting :-)

(The summary has been prepared quickly leaving the text in the original
format with a few minor alterations. The summary of the summary is that
if you're outside the U.S., you'll have to pay some money, otherwise it's
more or less free....)
------------------------------start of summary----------------------------
msg 1:
SPICE is free here at Penn State.  It supports a co-processor if you have one.
(If you have a PC that is.) .....

The Amiga version provides SOURCE.  I thought that that was what was
wanted.  If you want, I'll locate an FTP site that will have it.
Hmmm... Let me mail you a list of FTP sites that have various Amiga
stuff.

msg 2:
    Yes SPICE is PD (sort of).

    The originator of spice is the U of CA (Berkeley). The latest version
I have is 3C1 but they tell me that 3D1  should now be available.

    The note in the U of CA Dpt of EE & CS Electronics Research Lab
Industrial Liaison Programme Catalogue says that the programmes are freely
distributable within the US. The sticking point is that to send them
outside the US you need to obtain an export license (from the Commerce Dpt).
(For all I know probably an End User Certificate as well ! (-:  )

    When I was living in Australia I got hold of a copy from DECUS,
so I think the same should be true in the UK.  Problem was that the
inertia of DECUS was such that they distributed an old version.

Anyway for information about SPICE :
         Department of Electrical Engineering an Computer Science,
         Electronics Research Laboratory,
         479 Cory Hall,
         University of California at Berkeley
         Berkeley, CA 94720
         (415) 643-6687

You could try mailing to  spice@ucbcad
                ucbvax!ucbcad!spice

which is the mail address for bugs.  I once got a reply, but not the
last time I sent a bug report. (Perhaps because I sent so many at once).

Of course other people sell executables of spice derivatives, many
of which (most) are based on 2G6 (the old fortran version).
Its nice to have the source though.

msg 3:
Spice is indeed PD ... it is available from UC Berkeley for a "handling fee"
of US$150 (or so it was last time I checked) ... I assume other people can
give it to you if they got it from them ...

msg 4:
The primary way of obtaining the distribution is via the EECS Industrial
Liaison Program Software Office.

msg 5:
There is an Amiga version which is PD.  It is called ASPICE.  It
can be found on the infamous Fish disks somewhere, and is available
for anonymous FTP somewhere.
-------------------------------end-of-summary------------------------

Alan Thew
University of Liverpool Computer Laboratory
Bitnet/Earn: QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%UK.AC.LIVERPOOL @ UKACRL
UUCP       : ....!mcsun!ukc!liv!qq11        Voice: +44 51 794 3735
Internet   : QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK or QQ11%LIVERPOOL.AC.UK @ NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

DECARLIS@MTUS5.BITNET (11/10/90)

Could someone please send me the ftp address where I may find the source code f
or spice ? Thank you.

QQ11@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (11/16/90)

In article <90313.224716DECARLIS@MTUS5.BITNET>, DECARLIS@MTUS5.BITNET says:

>Could someone please send me the ftp address where I may find the source code
>for spice ? Thank you.
I've posted this before...it should give you the answers you want.