[comp.sources.wanted] LADDER for MSDOS??

jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi (JP Koivisto) (11/16/90)

sm5y+@andrew.cmu.edu (Samuel Antonio Minter) writes:

>> Still remember Ladder, the famous CP/M game?

>> Has anybody ported this to work under MSDOS?

>I still have the CP/M version lying around and occationally dust off the
>Kaypro 2 to play... but I'd really love to get an MS-DOS version.  If
>anyone knows of one please post!!

>        --Abulsme

Weel, I used to work at the computing center of the Technical Univ. of
Helsinki (called TeKoLa) here in Finland.  We also had a kaypro & LADDER
but only ONE, so we made one (the game, I mean :-) from scratch.
We made it in PASCAL using ONLY standard features (well, of course we
DID have to use a few EXTERNs for video output), so that we got it to
work also on the DEC-20 under TOPS-20 using PAX (the Pascal compiler
people at TeKoLa had made) as the compiler.  The main target then was an
Ericsson Step/One PC (it was actually Panasonic somethingorother, an MSDOS
machine anyway...) and it worked BEAUTIFULLY (this was 1983, I think)!

I think I did quite a few bits of the work, but I ain't sure who did what.
Anyway, when I moved down from DEC-20 to PCs (I went to work, instead of
hacking at the computing center anymore :-(, I got a IBM compatible and
changed a few bit & pieces to get it working on an IBM XT.  The compiler
was MS-PASCAL (a version BEFORE 3.20 or something like that) and the year
was 1984.  After that I have given the binaries to anybody who asks, but
I've never had time to make any changes (there has also been no need for
them...).

I think I can still find the source if somebody is interested, but I
think it should be converted to C (it ain't big...  REALLY).

The end result was an ALMOST EXACT copy of (look-and-feel, you know) of
the LADDER on Kaypro.  We even looked at the screens on Kaypro and
used them as a startup screens, but we DID make some new ones as well..

The screens are kept in a TEXT file (like in WANDERER), so making new
or changing existing is trivial...

jpk	- JP Koivisto
---
EMail:	jpk@davasun.data.nokia.fi

PS.	I added comp.sources.wanted to 'Newsgroups' as I DO HAVE SOURCE!