[comp.sources.wanted] UNDOS - newline translator wanted

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (11/15/90)

I once obtained a small but very useful program called undos from the
net. It transforms newlines in ascii files to and from the different
conventions of MS-DOS/CPM/Mac/Unix. It ran quite happily on a BSD4.2
Vax and runs on a Sequent Symmetry under Dynix (4.2/3-ish). However,
on a Sun 3 and Sun 4 it gives a segmentation fault when run.

The version I have is:
 "Undos Rev 12-07-85 (C)Copyright Omen Technology Inc All Rights Reserved\n";

Does anyone have a more recent version, or know where I can get one?

Leila
--
Leila Burrell-Davis, Computing Service, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Tel:   +44 273 678390              Fax:   +44 273 678470

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) (11/16/90)

I wrote:
> I once obtained a small but very useful program called undos from the
> net. It transforms newlines in ascii files to and from the different
> conventions of MS-DOS/CPM/Mac/Unix. It ran quite happily on a BSD4.2
> Vax and runs on a Sequent Symmetry under Dynix (4.2/3-ish). However,
> on a Sun 3 and Sun 4 it gives a segmentation fault when run.
>
> The version I have is:
>  "Undos Rev 12-07-85 (C)Copyright Omen Technology Inc All Rights Reserved\n";
>
> Does anyone have a more recent version, or know where I can get one?

This problem occurs running under SunOS 4.1. I understand that there
were no problems under 4.0.3 for instance.

davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Dave McCrady) (11/19/90)

leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila Burrell-Davis) writes:

> I once obtained a small but very useful program called undos from the
> net. It transforms newlines in ascii files to and from the different
> conventions of MS-DOS/CPM/Mac/Unix. It ran quite happily on a BSD4.2
> Vax and runs on a Sequent Symmetry under Dynix (4.2/3-ish). However,
> on a Sun 3 and Sun 4 it gives a segmentation fault when run.
>
> The version I have is:
>  "Undos Rev 12-07-85 (C)Copyright Omen Technology Inc All Rights Reserved\n";
>
> Does anyone have a more recent version, or know where I can get one?
>
> Leila
> --

  Omen is Chuck Forsberg, the author of ZMODEM.  He can be reached a
number of ways:
  Snail:  17505-V Northwest Sauvie Island Rd, Portland OR  97231
  C'serve: 70007,2304
  GENIE:  CAF
  UUCP:  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
  Voice:  503-621-3746
  BBS:  503-621-3746

Dave McCrady, Sysop              |  ersys!davem@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems          |
13324-138 Street                 |  Public access USENET  300-2400 bps (MNP5)
Edmonton, AB Canada  T5L 2B4     |  (403) 452-3254  (403) 454-6093

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (11/21/90)

In <3806@syma.sussex.ac.uk> leilabd@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Leila
Burrell-Davis) writes:

     However, on a Sun 3 and Sun 4 [Chuck Forsberg's "undos"] gives a
     segmentation fault when run.

If I remember correctly, "undos" incorrectly assumes that the mtime and
utime fields in the stat structure are contiguous in memory.  The fix
is easy if you look carefully at the code and/or get a core dump and
find the failing line.

Try my "flip" program (no email requests honored, look in
comp.sources.misc archives).  It converts between UNIX and MS-DOS
format.
--
Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi