[comp.sources.wanted] Archive Tape Drivers?

paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) (11/16/90)

Does anyone out there have _either_ a Minix (or other *ix) device
driver for an Archive SC499 tape controller, or technical specs
of the controller.

I have an Archive FasTape drive & SC499 controllers on my Unix
and DOS boxes, and plan to slap a third controller into my Minix
machine.  However, I need a driver.  I am prepared to write one
if I must, but am lazy.  I would appreciate any info about Minix
tape drivers, (yes, I know -- RTFM), Unix tape drivers and the
Archive controller in particular.  If I end up writing a driver,
it will be released to the net (to comp.os.minix).

Many thanks

--
----x------x------x------x------x------x------x------x------x----
In much wisdom is much grief:

curci@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) (11/20/90)

In article <191@frcs.UUCP> paul@frcs.UUCP (Paul Nash) writes:
>Does anyone out there have _either_ a Minix (or other *ix) device
>driver for an Archive SC499 tape controller, or technical specs
>of the controller.
>
>I have an Archive FasTape drive & SC499 controllers on my Unix
>and DOS boxes, and plan to slap a third controller into my Minix
>machine.  However, I need a driver.  I am prepared to write one
>if I must, but am lazy.  I would appreciate any info about Minix
>tape drivers, (yes, I know -- RTFM), Unix tape drivers and the
>Archive controller in particular.  If I end up writing a driver,
>it will be released to the net (to comp.os.minix).
>
>Many thanks
>
>--
>----x------x------x------x------x------x------x------x------x----
>In much wisdom is much grief:
>and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow

     The Santa Cruz Operation and Archive have jointly developed a
device driver for the FasTape SC499, SC499r, and VP series tape drives
about 3 years ago for use under the Xenix operating system.  I have used
it under the 386 version of Xenix v2.3.2.  At the time, Archive included
the driver on a diskette packaged with their tape drives and SCO made it
available free of charge.  It is my understanding that newer verisons of
Xenix are packaged with the driver.  I don't know how much success you
will have trying to get the source code for this driver.  This 1/4" tape
drive is convenient for backup and interchange of data.  You can create
QIC-11 and QIC-24 format TAR tapes and exchange data with other UNIX
systems such as Sun3 and Sun4.  A few years ago, Archive provided me
with technical details for their SC499 controller upon request.  I spoke
with Dale Spindlar at (714) 955-2335 at Archive.  Since Archive was
recently purchased by Maynard, I am not sure if things have been
reorganized.

Good Luck!

Raymond Curci
Institute of Molecular Biophysics
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL
curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu

--
Raymond Curci                     INTERNET: curci@mailer.scri.fsu.edu
Systems Engineer                  UUCP:     ...!uunet!mailer.scri.fsu.edu!curci

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (11/23/90)

In article <1428@sun13.scri.fsu.edu> curci@ds1.scri.fsu.edu (Raymond Curci) writes:
>with Dale Spindlar at (714) 955-2335 at Archive.  Since Archive was
>recently purchased by Maynard, I am not sure if things have been
>reorganized.

A little backwards here.  Maynard was purchased by Archive, who (
if memory serves) also just purchased another large tape backup
manufacturer. (cypher???)

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP