[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for multi-user talk program

ramkumar@Neon.Stanford.EDU (GDS Ramkumar) (11/25/90)

     I am told there is a multiple user talk program which allows a
'conference' of several users on the net simultaneously (instead of
just 2 users).

     I will greatly appreciate any information about the wherabouts of
this program, if it exists.

Thanks in advance,

Ram

gruner@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Armin Gruner) (11/25/90)

>     I am told there is a multiple user talk program which allows a
>     'conference' of several users on the net simultaneously (instead of
>     just 2 users).

Such a program exists, it's called `IRC' (Internet Relay Chat), and interconnects
many sites from all over the world.

As I don't know exactly what the best server-connection for Standford is, you
may try some of the following sites (at least some of the should allow a connect
from your site):

*** Server: byron.u.washington.edu University of Washington Server
*** Server: uxc.cso.uiuc.edu UofIllinois (V2.5.1) Serving those w.o. a life
*** Server: ucscb.ucsc.edu U of California, Santa Cruz, IRC 2.5.1.bu.08
*** Server: oak2.math.ucla.edu UCLA Mathter and Servant
*** Server: oddjob.uchicago.edu University of Chicago - Astro

Of course, you need a client, you may get the whole IRC package (with both server
and an old client) or a new developed client (with new features & bugs :)),
called ircII, from the following site:

	slopoke.mlb.semi.harris.com, anonymous FTP, in subdirectory pub/irc.

The files are

	-rw-r--r--  1 root     6667       250317 Jul 16 13:03 irc2.5.1.tar.Z
and
	-rw-r--r--  1 root     6667       178054 Oct 26 05:26 ircII1.96.tar.Z

Unpack, and follow the instructions inside (for only building the client,
it's changing the #define UPHOST in irc2.5.1/include/config.h to one of the
servers mentioned above, and for ircII, it's a #define called DEFAULT_SERVER in ircII1.96/config.h).

You may have to try some of the servers above then, by

	irc <a short nickname> <one of a server mentioned above>.

If you have any problems, feel free to contact me.

Greetings from Munich,

	Armin

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (11/26/90)

In article <RAMKUMAR.90Nov24151259@Neon.Stanford.EDU> GDS Ramkumar writes:
>     I am told there is a multiple user talk program which allows a
>'conference' of several users on the net simultaneously (instead of
>just 2 users).

You may mean my mult-user chat program which was recently posted to group
alt.sources.  It allows multiple users to converse on multiple channels.
Unfortunately it is restricted to a single machine at present (it uses
message IPC) but there are plans to make a version which uses TLI so it
will be available on a network.  It uses curses for the user screen.  You
enter lines in a box at the bottom of the screen and it is repeated above
along with converstions from everone else on the same channel as you.  Your
name is prepended so that you can tell who says what.  There is automatic
word wrap on entry.  You need an ANSI compiler to compile it.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   I support gun control.