[comp.sources.wanted] Easy tty surface

dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) (11/24/90)

I'm searching an easy tty-desktop for unused UNIX users.

After login, the user should have only a few features left.

- starting a news reading program (nn)
- starting the mail utility (elm)
- no shell
- directory listing
- change directory (only in home dir)
- create, delete directories
- delete files
- renaming files
- choosing by spacebar or typing first character
- global defineable
- etc...

I know it would be no problem for me to write it by myself.
But I have really no time.  :-(

Daniel

--
Daniel Huber AD-KT2.6   VOICE:  +41 31 52 96 64
Ascom Autelca AG        FAX:    +41 31 52 53 01

mfc@medoc.ec.bull.fr (Matt.Caprile) (11/30/90)

In article <1145@aut.autelca.ascom.ch> dhuber@aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Daniel Huber) writes:
>I'm searching an easy tty-desktop for unused UNIX users.
>
>After login, the user should have only a few features left.
>
>- starting a news reading program (nn)
>- starting the mail utility (elm)
>- no shell
>- directory listing
>- change directory (only in home dir)
>- create, delete directories
>- delete files
>- renaming files
>- choosing by spacebar or typing first character
>- global defineable
>- etc...

You could try doing this:
  add an asterisk "*" before the login directory of the user in the
passwd file. On some versions of UNIX this does a chroot() to the login
directory of the user before forking the shell. Use a restricted shell
(or not), and only copy the minimum programs needed for what you
want the users to be able to do into the user's "root" directory structure.
(You have to create directories /bin /usr/bin, etc for whatever tools
need them). In about 10 minutes time you have only afew features left.

--
 Matt.Caprile@ec.bull.fr  (or  {uunet!}inria!ec.bull.fr!Matt.Caprile)
 Bull S.A.