[comp.sources.wanted] msdos disks on Suns

csa@STRATUS.COM (Chris Arthur) (12/05/90)

I hear there is software that lets you deal with MS-DOS format 3.5" floppies
on Sun workstations that have 3.5" disk drives.  Where can I get this software?
Please reply by mail; I can't read this group...

							Chris Arthur
							csa@stratus.com
							csa@wpi.wpi.edu

philr@knecht.Eng.Sun.COM (Phil Robar) (12/05/90)

csa@STRATUS.COM (Chris Arthur) writes:

>I hear there is software that lets you deal with MS-DOS format 3.5"
> floppies on Sun workstations that have 3.5" disk drives. Where can
> I get this software? Please reply by mail; I can't read this group...

There are a couple of programs floating around for this, one I believe
is called mtool.  If you don't hear from anyone else I can probably dig
up some information.

Probably your best bet is to upgrade to SunOS 4.1.1:

DESCRIPTION
     PCFS is a filesystem type that allows users direct access to
     files  on  MS-DOS  formatted  disks  from  within  the SunOS
     operating system.  Once mounted, a PCFS filesystem  provides
     standard  SunOS  file  operations  and  semantics.  That is,
     users can create, delete, read, write  files  on  an  MS-DOS
     formatted disk.  They can also create/delete directories and
     list files in a directory.

     PCFS filesystems are mounted either with the command:

          mount -t pcfs  device-special directory-name

     or

          mount /pcfs

     if the following line

          /dev/fd0  /pcfs     pcfs rw,noauto 0 0

     is in your /etc/fstab.

     File and directories created through  PCFS  have  to  comply
     with  the  MS-DOS file name convention, which is of the form
     filename[.ext], where filename consists of one through eight
     upper-case  characters,  while  the optional ext consists of
     one through three upper-case characters.  PCFS converts  all
     the  lower-case characters in a file name to upper-case, and
     chops off any extra characters in  filename  or  ext.   When
     displaying file names, PCFS only shows them in lower-case.

     One can use either the MS-DOS FORMAT command, or

          fdformat -d

     command in the SunOS system to format a diskette  in  MS-DOS
     format.

--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems