[comp.sources.wanted] Answering Machine for mail on UNIX

savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) (12/08/90)

does any one have a program to reply to the person who mails you when
you are out of town, mentioning it?

thanks

Bharat P. Savel
EE Dept.                                       e-mail : savel@engde001.unl.edu
Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln                           Ph : (402) 477-9857

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec07.192156.21904@hoss.unl.edu>, savel@hoss.unl.edu (Bharat P. Savel) writes:

> does any one have a program to reply to the person who mails you when
> you are out of town, mentioning it?
>
> thanks
>

> --
> Bharat P. Savel
> EE Dept.                                       e-mail : savel@engde001.unl.edu
> Univ of Nebraska-Lincoln                           Ph : (402) 477-9857

We have been using an "answering machine" program here for some time and
have found no problems with it (originally written by Randy King here
at Montgomery).

I am posting the manual page, if you, or anyone else would like a copy
please let me know.

--
AT&T 		|	 This space		| (708)-859-4485
Phil Gunsul	|	intentionally		| att!mgweed!prg

     AUTOMAIL(1)             UNIX 5.0 (local)              AUTOMAIL(1)

     NAME
          automail - automatic mail response

     SYNOPSIS
          automail (from runque or user cron)

     DESCRIPTION
          Automail answers your mail while you're gone.  It saves mail
          sent to you in a safe place so that /usr/mail does not
          overflow.

     SETUP
          In your HOME directory, make a directory called "mail".  You
          control the function of automail through files here, and
          your saved mail will be put in files here.  The following
          lists the files, their format, and what you do with them.

        Ignores
          You create this file.  In it, put the full path names of
          users or logins that you never want to reply to, one entry
          per line.

        Message
          You create this file.  In it, put the canned message to be
          sent to people who send you mail.  Your first line should
          have a "Subject: " line.

        Loguser
          Automail creates this file.  Here is where the full-path
          names of people who have mailed to you are kept.  Once a
          person has mailed to you and automail has replied, they will
          not get another response until this file is removed or their
          name is deleted from it.

        Logfile
          Automail creates this file.  It is a list of who sent you
          mail, the time and date automail found it, and if "RESP" is
          on the line, then automail sent a response to that person.

        MMDDYY
          Automail creates this file.  It is the actual mail that you