[comp.sources.wanted] WANTED: A GOOD sed tutorial

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (12/06/90)

I am in search of a sed tutorial which focuses on writing sed 'programs' -
that is, handing multiple lines of code, breaking code into various files,
conditional edits, etc.
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

In article <9012061639.AA15782@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>I am in search of a sed tutorial...

Get the O'Reilly book.

--tom
--
Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard

bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) (12/11/90)

In <109974@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

>In article <9012061639.AA15782@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
>>I am in search of a sed tutorial...

>Get the O'Reilly book.

>--tom
>--
>Tom Christiansen		tchrist@convex.com	convex!tchrist
>"With a kernel dive, all things are possible, but it sure makes it hard
> to look at yourself in the mirror the next morning."  -me

I'm not sure which O'reilly book Tom is referring to here,
probably the Nutshell one.

Another excellent discussion of sed is in 'UNIX Text Processing'
by Dale Dougherty and Tim O'reilly (same one).  This is in the
Hayden Books UNIX System library number 046291.  There are also
excellent presentations on vi, awk, tbl, pic, troff, and how to
use these tools together.

I'm somewhat surprised Tom didn't refer you to perl which I find
much easier to understand than sed when it comes to multi-line
editing.

Bill.
--
INTERNET:  bill@Celestial.COM   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
UUCP:   ...!thebes!camco!bill   6641 East Mercer Way

In article <529@camco.Celestial.COM> bill@camco.Celestial.COM (Bill Campbell) writes:
:In <109974@convex.convex.com> tchrist@convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
:>In article <9012061639.AA15782@lilac.berkeley.edu> lwv27@CAS.BITNET writes:
:>>I am in search of a sed tutorial...
:>Get the O'Reilly book.

:I'm not sure which O'reilly book Tom is referring to here,
:probably the Nutshell one.

Yes, it's called "Sed and Awk", and is a Nutshell Handbook by
Dale Dougherty.

:I'm somewhat surprised Tom didn't refer you to perl which I find
:much easier to understand than sed when it comes to multi-line
:editing.

Well, you see, my ears are still ringing for getting knocked around for
bringing up the P word on the net.  Some people get really mad at me for
doing this.  But yes, it's much easier for more than one-liners.  In fact,
I translate big sed scripts with s2p so that I can read them more easily,
even old ones I wrote myself.

There will also be a Nutshell Handbook on perl out in about six weeks.

--tom