[comp.sources.wanted] Virus programs needed ...

jim@oasis.icl.stc.co.uk (Jim Cheetham) (12/19/90)

Sorry to interrupt you comp.virus people with a software request ... but ...

If someone could tell me where I can grab some virus protection exes from,
I'd be grateful! Unfortunately, I'm limited to what comes from mail-servers,
so they're preferred to ftp sites (which aren't impossible, just impractical)

I'd also like some advice as to which programs to get. So far, I haven't
been hit by a virus of any kind, and I'm reasonably sure that I could
recover from one if it did get onto my systems, but I need to be able
to support other people who ask me for stuff. As internal software
releases pass through my machines, I don't want to get caught out!

Any advice ? Please email me, as I don't have time to read *every*
newsgroup out there, and Twin Peaks has priority! (did *I* say that?)

A la prochaine ...
        _____               ____  _               _   _
       (__ __) o  ______   (  __)( )_  ___  ___ _( )_( )_  ___   ______
      (____)  (_)(_)()(_)  (____)(_)_)(__=)(__=) (_)_(_)_)(___)_(_)()(_)
Jim Cheetham, jim@oasis.icl.stc.co.uk, BRA01 0344 424842 x3121 (ITD 763 3121)
              *********************** - If that fails to work, please
              use jim@oasis.icl.co.uk, which one day soon will be *real!*
    #include <std/disclaimer.h> /* To keep the company lawyer happy */

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (12/19/90)

In article <9012182337.AA04351@pixel.oasis.icl.stc.co.uk> jim@oasis.icl.stc.co.uk (Jim Cheetham) writes:
>Sorry to interrupt you comp.virus people with a software request ... but ...
>
>If someone could tell me where I can grab some virus protection exes from,
>I'd be grateful! Unfortunately, I'm limited to what comes from mail-servers,
>so they're preferred to ftp sites (which aren't impossible, just impractical)
>
>I'd also like some advice as to which programs to get. So far, I haven't
:

If you care to read comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d for awile, you'll soon
find what you need.  But start by getting /pc/pd2/scanv72.zip by
anonymous ftp from uwasa.fi archives.

>Any advice ? Please email me, as I don't have time to read *every*
>newsgroup out there, and Twin Peaks has priority! (did *I* say that?)

2. *****
 Q: Why "(Please) reply by email, I don't usually read this group"
(actually a demand rather than a question) gets flamed?

 A: This is basically an impolite way of formulating such a request.
If one is interested enough to post to a group, one should also be
prepared to follow up the group.
   Intended or not, the attitude this (email-I-don't-read) decree
easily conveys is "I don't usually care for this wimpy group, but
this time you are allowed to be of service to my exalted person".
What you should do, if following the group is genuinely problematic
for you (for cost or other reasons), is to offer to make a summary
of the replies. The liturgy often used for this is "Please reply by
email. If there is sufficient interest, I'll summarize". (This
alternative is often advocated also because it is supposed to cut
down the traffic).

>Jim Cheetham, jim@oasis.icl.stc.co.uk, BRA01 0344 424842 x3121 (ITD 763 3121)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)