[comp.sources.wanted] PD or SW C compiler?

cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve Cirian) (12/19/90)

I am thinking of purchasing UNIX for my home PC, and would like to get a C
compiler.  I know that Coherent comes with a C compiler, and is about $100,
but it is not yet a 32-bit operating system and only supports a small-model
compiler (this is not to say it is not a good operating system, as several
of my co-workers have purchased it and are quite pleased with it).

The OS I have in mind is Microport's System V/3.2, which is $200 for the runtime
version.  The compiler is $500, so I am looking for a public domain or shareware
compiler.  I may be able to get the source for Gnu C, but the question I have
is, how do I compile it to run on my PC if I don't have a compiler to compile
it with?  Can I use Turbo C or MS C running under DOS?  Has anyone compiled it
for 386-based UNIX, and is it available?  I do not have direct access to the
Internet, so uucp'ing it would be the best option.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get a cheap or public domain C
compiler, opinions on Microport's version of UNIX, or know if Tom Roell's
X11R4 program will run under this UNIX and a Paradise VGA+16 video controller?

Thanks,

Steve Cirian
--
Steve Cirian		~  local girl:  What does BRMC stand for?
750 Tower Drive		~  Johnny:      Black Rebels Motorcycle Club

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (12/20/90)

Try Minix.  You can get free patches to upgrade to 32-bit, and there are
3 compilers (including gcc) available for it.  I run it on my home system,
it's quite stable (actually works better than the 8086 version).
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer, WA2YYW, tvf@cci.com   | "Those who can, do;
{uupsi,ccicpg}!cci632!tvf@uunet.uu.net       |  Those who can't, teach;

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (12/20/90)

In article <237@einstein.eds.com> cirian@einstein.eds.com (Steve Cirian) writes:
>I am thinking of purchasing UNIX for my home PC, and would like to get a C
>compiler.  I know that Coherent comes with a C compiler, and is about $100,
>but it is not yet a 32-bit operating system and only supports a small-model
>compiler (this is not to say it is not a good operating system, as several
>of my co-workers have purchased it and are quite pleased with it).
>
>The OS I have in mind is Microport's System V/3.2, which is $200 for the runtime
>version.  The compiler is $500, so I am looking for a public domain or shareware
>compiler.  I may be able to get the source for Gnu C, but the question I have
>is, how do I compile it to run on my PC if I don't have a compiler to compile
>it with?  Can I use Turbo C or MS C running under DOS?  Has anyone compiled it
>for 386-based UNIX, and is it available?  I do not have direct access to the
>Internet, so uucp'ing it would be the best option.
>
>Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get a cheap or public domain C
>compiler, opinions on Microport's version of UNIX, or know if Tom Roell's
>X11R4 program will run under this UNIX and a Paradise VGA+16 video controller?
>
>Thanks,
>

>Steve Cirian
>--
>Steve Cirian		~  local girl:  What does BRMC stand for?
>750 Tower Drive		~  Johnny:      Black Rebels Motorcycle Club
>Troy, MI 48007		~  local girl:  What are you rebelling against?
>(313) 265-5738		~  Johnny:      Whattya got?

One of the misconceptions of buying a C compiler for unix (or
development system as they are sometimes called) is that you only get
the C compiler.  By getting a public domain compiler, that is all you
get.  What about all the libraries, include files, etc. that you need
to use the compiler?  They are only available from the vendor because
they are modeified to work woth their product.

My advice:  Spend the extra money, then get a public domain compiler.

Jim

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com