[comp.sources.wanted] Software that permits X Windows over serial line?

jeffg@loki.asd.sgi.com (Jeff C. Glover) (01/02/91)

I recently heard of someone using the X Window System remotely on their
home workstation using a program called "wireless" or "wireline" or
something like that.

IT WASN'T USING SLIP!

I suspect this works by making another display available, and shipping
the commands to a receiving program on the remote system via modem
which simply translates those calls into X for the local X server.  I
have no idea how it actually works.

I can't use SLIP (an oversight on my workstation's manufacturer's
part), so this is of interest.

Any help?

Jeff
jeffg@sgi.com

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (01/02/91)

Might this have been a GraphOn X terminal?  Their X server runs on a
UNIX host rather than in the terminal, and sends their terminal's own
graphic language over the wire, rather than IP.

rpg@xcc.uucp (Ralf Gans) (01/09/91)

In article <BOB.91Jan2102730@volitans.MorningStar.Com> bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) writes:
>Might this have been a GraphOn X terminal?  Their X server runs on a
>UNIX host rather than in the terminal, and sends their terminal's own
>graphic language over the wire, rather than IP.

I thought every X-Terminal has a optional seriellineinterface.
NCD and VISUAL does!
They send special software for the client side.

--

      Ralf P. Gans 	 		Voice:	+49 2101 44 05-72
 X Computer Consult GmbH    		Fax:	+49 2102 44 05-66