[comp.sources.wanted] Remote work on PC

steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) (01/05/91)

I am currently looking for a software package that will allow me to work
on another PC remotely. I have two PC located in two different cities. I
would like to call up the other PC from my location thru a modem and be
able to work on the other PC as if I was actually on the PC at that location.
I heard that there were some software that are capable of doing this. The
PC are both stand alone ( not connected to a network) and I must be able
to do work on the remote PC as if I was working there.

What I need to know are the names of the software package and a summary
of the capabilities (good and bad).

thanks in advance.

Stephen M. LuShing                           INTERNET: steve@pinet.aip.org
System Development                           BITNET: steve@aip.bitnet
American Institute of Physics
Woodbury, N.Y., 11797
--

rb9a@kelvin.seas.Virginia.EDU (Raul Baragiola) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.210408.14715@pinet.aip.org> steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) writes:
>I am currently looking for a software package that will allow me to work
>on another PC remotely. I have two PC located in two different cities. I
>would like to call up the other PC from my location thru a modem and be
>able to work on the other PC as if I was actually on the PC at that location.
>I heard that there were some software that are capable of doing this. The
>PC are both stand alone ( not connected to a network) and I must be able
>to do work on the remote PC as if I was working there.
>
>What I need to know are the names of the software package and a summary
>of the capabilities (good and bad).

Look into "Computing at a distance", PC Mag. March 31, 1987, p. 249ff

--
Raul A. Baragiola                               \Internet: raul@virginia.edu
Dept. Nuclear Engnr. and Engnr. Physics          \Phone: (804)-982-2907

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (01/05/91)

In article <1991Jan4.210408.14715@pinet.aip.org> steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) writes:
>I am currently looking for a software package that will allow me to work
>on another PC remotely. I have two PC located in two different cities. I
:
>What I need to know are the names of the software package and a summary
>of the capabilities (good and bad).
:

Take a look at /pc/pd2/tr3-6.zip at uwasa.fi archives.  Available by
anonymous ftp.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) (01/06/91)

In <1991Jan4.210408.14715@pinet.aip.org> steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) writes:

>I am currently looking for a software package that will allow me to work
>on another PC remotely. I have two PC located in two different cities. I
>would like to call up the other PC from my location thru a modem and be
>able to work on the other PC as if I was actually on the PC at that location.
>I heard that there were some software that are capable of doing this. The
>PC are both stand alone ( not connected to a network) and I must be able
>to do work on the remote PC as if I was working there.

>What I need to know are the names of the software package and a summary
>of the capabilities (good and bad).

Try Carbon Copy Plus.  I think the latest version is 5.1 or something.
It will let you pretend you are sitting at the remote PC, and can even
run things like Flight Simulator!

There is an optional callback feature for added security (the remote
system must call you back at a known phone number when you try to call
it) and for allowing "collect calls" if it is long distance.

The old versions ( <= 5.0 ) used to require you buy 2 packages -- one
for remote, one for local.  I think the new version needs only 1 copy
to be purchased.

I've seen it here in Toronto (Computronix Data Centre) for $99 (on sale).

I've used the package extensively and was quite impressed.

--
Guy Lemieux          ENG SCI                          University of Toronto
guy@contact.uucp      9 T 2      Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (01/08/91)

In comp.sys.ibm.pc, guy@contact.uucp (Guy Lemieux) typed:
$Try Carbon Copy Plus.  I think the latest version is 5.1 or something.
$It will let you pretend you are sitting at the remote PC, and can even
$run things like Flight Simulator!
[...]
$I've used the package extensively and was quite impressed.

   Our company has used several verions of Carbon Copy quite extensively and
have been less than impressed.  We have found it unable to work reliably
above 9600 bps; it can be exceptionally finicky about the options you set
up; it can not allow you to log on automatically but can allow you to log
on if you yourself type the password; it has an annoying tendency to lose
keystrokes and portions of graphics screens; we gave up on trying to get
it to work with MNP-equipped modems; it has periodically decided not to let
anyone log in for a stretch of a several hours (yet it will eventually let
you log in again even if you don't go and kick the computer it's running on).

   One of these days we'll get around to trying some of the other packages;
in the meantime, we tend to hand each other a lot of floppies whenver we
see each other.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always
(__  | | |  | |_  |_) >----------------------------------< searching

mcintoshc@ctl.co.nz (01/14/91)

In article <1991Jan4.210408.14715@pinet.aip.org>, steve@pinet.aip.org (Steve Lushing) writes:
> I am currently looking for a software package that will allow me to work
> on another PC remotely. I have two PC located in two different cities. I
> would like to call up the other PC from my location thru a modem and be
> able to work on the other PC as if I was actually on the PC at that location.
> I heard that there were some software that are capable of doing this. The
> PC are both stand alone ( not connected to a network) and I must be able
> to do work on the remote PC as if I was working there.
>
> What I need to know are the names of the software package and a summary
> of the capabilities (good and bad).
>
> thanks in advance.

One that I have briefly used is CARBONCOPY

advantage :     It works !

disadvantage :  You gotta pay for it :-)

From :   Colin McIntosh,  Project Manager      	 #        .=====. ========
     	 Computertime Ltd,  P.O. Box 6243	 #       /     /     /    /
	 Wellington, New Zealand		 #      /           /    /
Phone:   (04) 852 195				 #     /           /    /
Fax  :   (04) 828 288				 #    /     /     /    /
Internet:    MCINTOSHC@NZFC.CO.NZ  		 #    ======     /     ======
  Disclaimer:       I speak my_speak not their_speak