[comp.sources.wanted] Korn shell

keith@sdscal.UUCP (Keith Jones) (09/29/89)

I've heard good things about the Korn Shell and, if I remember correctly, it
is public domain.  If it is in fact PD, could somebody kindly mail me the
source (I don't have access to ftp)?  If it isn't PD, could somebody kindly
tell how I could get a hold of it (remembering that our system doesn't know
what the word ftp means)?

Thanx.

----
Keith Jones			...!calgary!spycal!sdscal!keith
Stream Data Systems		I don't have a signature because my pen keeps
Calgary, Alberta, Canada	scratching up my monitor.

mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) (10/01/89)

In article <195@sdscal.UUCP> keith@sdscal.UUCP (Keith Jones) writes:

>I've heard good things about the Korn Shell and, if I remember correctly, it
>is public domain.  If it is in fact PD, could somebody kindly mail me the
>source (I don't have access to ftp)?  If it isn't PD, could somebody kindly
>tell how I could get a hold of it (remembering that our system doesn't know
>what the word ftp means)?

If I'm not mistaken, the Ksh is the copyrighted property of AT&T and can only
be obtained by purchasing the source code and signing the licensing agreement.
I logged onto the AT&T Toolchest BBS not too long ago and recall seeing ksh
available for a mere 20,000 dollars. If you'd like to check it out for your
own self call (201) 522-6900 (1200-8-n-1) and login as 'guest'. There's
a whole blurb there on it and other AT&T source code.

Alternatively, you might try obtaining Bash (Born again Shell) from the
GNU Project. It has many of the features available in the Ksh as well as
some of it's own extensions. Best of all: It's free!
--
Michael R. Johnston                              mikej@lilink.COM
System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej

gaggy@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Gregory Gulik) (10/03/89)

In article <857@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
	Stuff about obtaining ksh source deleted

>Alternatively, you might try obtaining Bash (Born again Shell) from the
>GNU Project. It has many of the features available in the Ksh as well as
>some of it's own extensions. Best of all: It's free!

Bash??  Sounds interesting...

If anyone has the source code, could you please e-mail it to me?

If it's really huge, just let me know where I can have someone
ftp it and get it to me another way...

Thanks much!!!

-greg

ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) (10/18/89)

In article <857@lilink.UUCP> mikej@lilink.UUCP (Michael R. Johnston) writes:
>If I'm not mistaken, the Ksh is the copyrighted property of AT&T and can only
>be obtained by purchasing the source code and signing the licensing agreement.
>I logged onto the AT&T Toolchest BBS not too long ago and recall seeing ksh
>available for a mere 20,000 dollars. If you'd like to check it out for your
>own self call (201) 522-6900 (1200-8-n-1) and login as 'guest'. There's
>a whole blurb there on it and other AT&T source code.

You're correct that the Korn Shell is available through the AT&T Toolchest,
though the price for a site license is $3,000.  The $20,000 fee is for
the right to sublicense (sell binary copies) of Korn Shell.   The
Korn Shell will also be included in the UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0
Source distribution for those of you who may have access to that.

Ry Schwark
rye@attunix.att.com

bob@rush.cts.com (Bob Ames) (10/19/89)

Korn Shell Binaries are available for all kinds of machines from Aspen
Technologies in New Jersey.  Area Code 201.  Sorry, that`s all I know.

Bob
---
Bob Ames   The National Organization for  the Reform of Marijuana Laws, NORML
"Pot is the world's best source of complete protein, alcohol fuel, and paper,
is the best fire de-erosion seed, and is america's largest cash crop." - USDA
bob@rush.cts.com or ncr-sd!rush!bob@nosc.mil  or rutgers!ucsd!ncr-sd!rush!bob
619-432-6106 "We each pay a fabulous price for our visions of paradise," Rush

goldfish@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (GOLDSMITH paul) (02/02/90)

Could someone please post (or mail) the location from which
source of the Korn Shell can be found.  I would be happy with
an anonymous FTP site, however I am sure that I can accomodate
another format.

If I receive multiple E-Mail replies, I will post a followup
listing their contents.

-Goldfish
(Shirley Maclaine said there would be LIFETIMES like this)

- Goldfish
  (Shirley Maclaine told me there would be LIFETIMES like this)

anantha%ravi@Sun.COM (Anantha Srirama) (02/02/90)

goldfish@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (GOLDSMITH paul) writes:
>Could someone please post (or mail) the location from which
>source of the Korn Shell can be found.  I would be happy with
>an anonymous FTP site, however I am sure that I can accomodate
>another format.

KSH (KornShell) is not in PUBLIC DOMAIN.  It is a product of AT&T and the
source can be obtained for a licence fee like the UNIX sources.  There are some
other companies which sell KSH executables for different machines/operating
systems.

Aspen Technologies, Parisppany NJ is one such vendor.

On the other hand FSF (of GNU Emacs fame) has come out with a new shell called
BASH (Bourne Again SHell) which has almost all of the features of KSH like
command line editing in Emacs and Vi mode.  It also has some features of CSH
like the '!' way of re-executing commands.  Remember that this is still in
Beta quality, I have been using it for over 6 months with satisfaction.  It is
fairly stable.  You can obtain the sources for BASH (1.04) from

	tut.cis.ohio-state.edu	128.146.8.60

If you choose to use/try this shell there is group on Usenet called gnu.bash.bug
which deals with the shell.

Good luck

	-Anantha-

Anantha Padmanabha N. Srirama		|  USENET:  ...sun!anantha@Eng
Sun Microsystems			|  ARPA:    anantha@Eng.Sun.COM
2550, Garcia Ave.  MS: 16-02		|
Mt. View,  CA-94043			|

In article <1831@clyde.concordia.ca> goldfish@concour.CS.Concordia.CA (GOLDSMITH paul) writes:
>Could someone please post (or mail) the location from which
>source of the Korn Shell can be found.  I would be happy with
>an anonymous FTP site, however I am sure that I can accomodate
>another format.

Kshell is a copyrighted program owned by AT&T.  Is is not available in source
from from any ftp site (if it is and at&t finds out the site may not be
happy with the result).

If you want source, join the AT&T toolchest ($100 to join if not a System V
source customer) and buy the source ($3,000 for a site license).  There is
no other legal way to get it (other than as part of the System V.4 source
tape).

The dial-in # for the toolchest is 201-522-6900 (1200 baud dialup line).
Log in as guest and you will be prompted through the session (and able to
browse the sources that are available).

oz@yunexus.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (02/07/90)

anantha%ravi@Sun.COM (Anantha Srirama) responds:
>KSH (KornShell) is not in PUBLIC DOMAIN.  It is a product of AT&T and the
>source can be obtained for a licence fee like the UNIX sources.

Wrong. There *is* a PD version, an 80-per-cent subset, by Erik Gisin of
University of Waterloo. This version had been floating in some anon-ftp
sites for quite a while, including, I believe, tut.cis.ohio-state.edu.
PD ksh does have an emacs mode, and seems reasonably portable.

oz
--
There are two kinds of fool.   	       	           Internet:  oz@nexus.yorku.ca
One says, "This is old, and therefore good"        Uucp:  uunet!utai!yunexus!oz

jan@golf.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch) (01/08/91)

Does anyone know where I can get source for the Korn shell to run
on a Sun Sparc under Sun O/S 4.1? Thanks in advance.

+----------------------+---+
  Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
  University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616
  Australia. Tel: (Aust) 6-2522422. Fax: (Aust) 6-2522999

  ACSnet: jan@ise.canberra.edu.au
  ARPA:   jan%ise.canberra.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
  UUCP:   {uunet,ukc}!munnari!ise.canberra.edu.au!jan
  JANET:  jan%au.edu.canberra.ise@EAN-RELAY

+--------------------------+

cgh018@tijc02.uucp (Calvin Hayden x2254) (01/22/91)

From article <jan.663302453@golf>, by jan@golf.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch):
> Does anyone know where I can get source for the Korn shell to run
> on a Sun Sparc under Sun O/S 4.1? Thanks in advance.
>

> +----------------------+---+
>   Jan Newmarch, Information Science and Engineering,
>   University of Canberra, PO Box 1, Belconnen, Act 2616
>   Australia. Tel: (Aust) 6-2522422. Fax: (Aust) 6-2522999
>
>   ACSnet: jan@ise.canberra.edu.au
>   ARPA:   jan%ise.canberra.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
>   UUCP:   {uunet,ukc}!munnari!ise.canberra.edu.au!jan
>   JANET:  jan%au.edu.canberra.ise@EAN-RELAY
>
> +--------------------------+
Try AT&T Toolchest at 1 201 829 7256, login as guest.  To get it,
you'll have to register (~$200).  Cost is about $2500 I beleive.
We had it for SunOS 4.0.3, and then upgraded to 4.1.  I think that
the current version is the 111688E version (I have the B version).
I know its a part of SVR4, so should be in the merging of SunOS and
SVR4.  I dont think that there is a PD version available.

Calvin

--
Calvin Hayden
Texas Instruments, Johnson City, Tn.

steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) (01/23/91)

As quoted from <1991Jan21.161359.23633@tijc02.uucp> by cgh018@tijc02.uucp (Calvin Hayden x2254):

+---------------
| From article <jan.663302453@golf>, by jan@golf.canberra.edu.au (Jan Newmarch):
| > Does anyone know where I can get source for the Korn shell to run
| > on a Sun Sparc under Sun O/S 4.1? Thanks in advance.
|
| Try AT&T Toolchest at 1 201 829 7256, login as guest.  To get it,
| you'll have to register (~$200).  Cost is about $2500 I beleive.
| We had it for SunOS 4.0.3, and then upgraded to 4.1.  I think that
| the current version is the 111688E version (I have the B version).
| I know its a part of SVR4, so should be in the merging of SunOS and
| SVR4.  I dont think that there is a PD version available.
+---------------

There is, posted to < alt.sources > 12 Dec 90 11:34:39 GMT...

# From: netnews@netcom.UUCP (USENET Administration)
# Newsgroups: alt.sources
# Subject: Public Domain Korn Shell - Part.01 of 7
# Date: 12 Dec 90 11:34:39 GMT
# Archive-name: ksh-pd/part01
#
# The following seven shar files are the public domain Korn Shell attributed to:
#
# 	Eric Gisin, egisin@math.UWaterloo.CA (or Waterloo.EDU)
#
# ... however he was not reachable via email for any updates or status of
# this work.  So, we provide you with what we have.
# I don't recall how we got it originally.  We do not actually use this
# ksh here at NetCom, as it is incomplete (only emacs-style line editing),
# and we have an authentic ksh already.  However, if you don't have ksh and
# know emacs, this might be fun to have around.

Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org