[comp.sources.wanted] X11 event recorder/playback

warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) (01/23/91)

  I'm looking for a X11 (R4, athena widget where appropriate) program that can
memorize and replay events to enable the testing of X11 clients.  The important
events that are needed (at LEAST) are keyboard and mouse events, but all
possible events being captured is preferable.

  I've heart that there is already such a beast out there, but I don't know
where or, more importantly, what it's called.  If you know where a program that
would fit this bill exists, please send mail.

--

Warlock, AKA              +----------------------------------------------------
John Kennedy              | internet: warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu

rrr@u02.svl.cdc.com (Rich Ragan) (01/23/91)

In <1991Jan22.194047.23540@ecst.csuchico.edu> warlock@ecst.csuchico.edu (John Kennedy) writes:

>  I'm looking for a X11 (R4, athena widget where appropriate) program that can
>memorize and replay events to enable the testing of X11 clients.  The important
>events that are needed (at LEAST) are keyboard and mouse events, but all
>possible events being captured is preferable.

I have some interest in this area as well but not a lot of time to
devote to it right now. A few months back I spied something on the Net
that would probably be a good starting point. It's called xmx and is a
program that get traffic from X-Clients being driven by a master X-terminal
and rebroadcasts that traffic to other X-Clients. This allows a computer
lab to have multiple X-terminals slaved to the instructor's terminal.
Now if you add a side-door to the program that records events from the
master terminal and responses from the clients to a file you should
be able to later have that program (with different options) play back
the file of master terminal events and check the client responses
against what was previously recorded. Voila, automated testing of
X11 Clients. The following excerpt from the original post will give
you more info on how to get xmx. I have built it on a Mips-based
system (Control Data EP/IX) and at least with rudimentary playing
around it seems to work. However, no further work has been done.
--------------------------------
From comp.archives Fri Dec  7 15:19:17 1990
From: jsb@cs.brown.edu (John Bazik)
Subject: [xpert] Announcing XMX
Date: 7 Dec 90 18:03:46 GMT

Archive-name: x11/multi-window/xmx/1990-12-06
Archive: wilma.cs.brown.edu:/pub/xmx.tar.Z [128.148.31.66]
Reposted-by: emv@ox.com (Edward Vielmetti)

                                   X M X
                         An X Protocol Multiplexor

                                Version 1.0

XMX is an X protocol multiplexor.  It is a standalone utility for displaying
an X Windows session on multiple displays.  XMX takes advantage of the
networked nature of the X Window System by tapping the communication link
between an X client and an X server.  In this way, XMX works with any
X clients and any X servers, without the need to modify either.

XMX connects to N servers like an X client, then accepts connections from
M clients like an X server.  One of those servers is designated the "master"
from which input is directed to the clients.  The other servers are "slaves."
Slave servers receive only those protocol requests that are necessary for
them to maintain a visual look-alike of the master server's display.

This software was developed at Brown University for use in our electronic
classroom.  Some version of it has been in use here since 1988.

XMX runs on Sun3's and Sun4's, and has been tested on a DecStation 3100.

XMX is now available for anonymous ftp:

		host:	wilma.cs.brown.edu (128.148.31.66)
		file:	pub/xmx.tar.Z

XMX is currently undergoing further development.  Your comments and
suggestions are welcome.

John Bazik
jsb@cs.brown.edu
uunet!brunix!jsb
jsb@browncs.bitnet

--
Richard R. Ragan   rrr@svl.cdc.com    (408) 496-4340
Control Data Corporation - Silicon Valley Operations