[comp.sources.wanted] Postscript printer filter wanted for Ultrix.

haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) (01/31/91)

  Hello:

  I'd like to get my hands on a postscript printer driver that will interface
with a printer either over a net (ie via a terminal server) or directly
connected (eg. /dev/ttya).

  Thanks.

harold.t.

=====                                                            =====
===                      Harold Tomlinson                          ===
==             Computing and Communications Services                ==
=                        YORK UNIVERSITY                             =
=                  haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca                       =
=                   or haroldt@nexus.yorku.ca                        =
=                      416- 736-5257-33802                           =

melanie@director.beckman.uiuc.edu (Melanie Anderson) (02/01/91)

haroldt@paralandra.yorku.ca (Harold Tomlinson) writes:

>  I'd like to get my hands on a postscript printer driver that will interface
>with a printer either over a net (ie via a terminal server) or directly
>connected (eg. /dev/ttya).

>  Thanks.

hmmm... this is a supported feature of ultrix 3.x and greater, and your
local dec office should have been able to tell you this (and also how
to set it up). i'd point this out to them if i were you.

anyhow, the filter is /usr/lib/lpdfilters/ln03rof and works pretty
well, i have had no trouble with it. just define it as your of and set
up the printer as any other serial printer. basically if ln03rof sees a
%!  as the first 2 bytes in a file it does nothing except pass the
file, otherwise, it converts the (assumed to be) ascii file into
simple-minded postcript, allowing you to print listings, etc on a
postscript printer. works just like any other filter. under ultrix 4.x,
postscript printer support gets a bit more baroque, most of it related to
the lps-40. if you ain't got an lps-40, ln03rof is just what you need.

i've used this filter sucessfully with an imagen 5320-turbo, a qms
colorscript-100 and an apple (sun) laserwriter.

Melanie Anderson			msa@uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute			PHMETR::MELANIE
University of Illinois			217/244-1079
         Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.