[comp.sources.wanted] PD UUCP, does it exist?

jh@efd.lth.se (Joergen Haegg) (01/30/91)

I wonder if anyone have written a PD uucp?

There is the uupc package, but only for PC.

Maybe some gnu-projekt?
Joergen Haegg				jh@efd.lth.se	postmaster@efd.lth.se
System manager @ efd			046-107492
Lund Institute of Technology		Sweden

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan29.192655.7989@lth.se> jh@efd.lth.se (Joergen Haegg) writes:

>I wonder if anyone have written a PD uucp?
>
>There is the uupc package, but only for PC.
>
>Maybe some gnu-projekt?

At one time there was GNUUUCP, but it seems to have disappeared from
prep.ai.mit.edu (you can still find it on uunet.uu.net).

However, the 4.2BSD uucp is public domain.  I got my copy from uu.psi.com
in the /src directory.  I've install and am using it on a DECsystem 3100
running Ultrix 4.1.

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				             mra@searchtech.com

mjr@hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) (02/03/91)

 mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:

>However, the 4.2BSD uucp is public domain.  I got my copy from uu.psi.com
>in the /src directory.  I've install and am using it on a DECsystem 3100
>running Ultrix 4.1.

	I just took a look at a copy of that, and some of the comments
are verbatim the same as the AT&T copyrighted version. I suspect that not
only is that code not public domain (BSD code is not PD, though it is
freely available) I suspect that code is AT&T proprietary and a trade
secret, to boot.

	I don't believe the guys are Berkeley have re-written uucp, I
do know they have extended and improved it - there's a difference.

mjr.
--
	Lutraphiles unite!

rick@uunet.uu.net (Rick Adams) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb2.043622.8722@srchtec.uucp>, mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) writes:

> However, the 4.2BSD uucp is public domain.  I got my copy from uu.psi.com
> in the /src directory.  I've install and am using it on a DECsystem 3100
> running Ultrix 4.1.

The 4.2bsd uucp is based on ATT code from the 32V distribution. The copy
on uu.psi.com is clearly a derivative of the licensed 4.3BSD distribution of
modifications to 32V.

Whether the code is NOW public domain is a matter for trade secret lawyers
to hash out. People without large legal budgets should probably
presume that the trade secret status of that code remains intact.

--rick