[comp.sources.wanted] Looking for PD tek emulator

stein@WRC.XEROX.COM (Adam Stein) (02/07/91)

I am looking for a PD tektronix emulator for X (preferably with OpenLook ui, but
I'll take anything).  I know that xterm has a tek mode.  I was wondering if
there was anything else.  Thanx in advance for any info.

						Adam Stein
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation         Email: stein.wbst129@xerox.com
                                              stein@arisia.xerox.com

gjc@mitech.com (02/08/91)

In article <716@rocksanne.WRC.XEROX.COM>, stein@WRC.XEROX.COM (Adam Stein) writes:
> I am looking for a PD tektronix emulator for X ...
> I'll take anything.  I know that xterm has a tek mode.  I was wondering if
> there was anything else.  Thanx in advance for any info.

FTP to BU.EDU, login anonymous. cd to users/gjc and get decwindows-tek-vms.
[This is also available in vmsnet.sources archives.]

This is a Tek 4014 to Postscript converter which I hacked to add
a selectable XLIB level back-end. The usual way of operating it is
to spawn a subprocessing and pipe your TEK 4014 commands to it.

It is a VMS "shell" archive, but once unpacked you should not have much
problem compiling and running it under Unix. Perhaps some minor modifications
to the event handling loop for redisplay. (Under VMS you don't need a loop,
since in XLIB you can get asynchronous signals on events).

It would probably be better to convert the pure XLIB level stuff to XT
level that used "applications select input" type calls. But then you have the
problem of rehacking the TEK 4014 decoder part of the code, which uses GETC
on the input FILE * into something else, which would be non-recursive/looping.

Alternatively you use two processes. One which decodes the TEK 4014
variable-length codes into draw-line calls which can then be encoded
in a more straightforward manner, and then piped to another processes
which accepts them using "select input" and also handles the redisplay events.

-gjc