[comp.sources.wanted] X mouse catcher

jerry@ora.ora.com (Jerry Peek) (02/16/91)

At Uniforum in Dallas last month, the new Sony laptop had a cute
application running.  In the window was a cat that would chase the
cursor (mouse).  Inside the window, the cat would grab the mouse and
(I think) sit on it.  If you moved the mouse outside the window, the
cat would try to grab the mouse, eventually give up, and fall asleep.

So where can I get this???  Thanks.

--Jerry Peek, jerry@ora.com, uunet!ora!jerry, +1 617 354-5800

neumann@dec4.wu-wien.ac.at (Gustaf Neumann) (02/18/91)

In article <1991Feb16.140555.17129@ora.com>, jerry@ora.ora.com (Jerry Peek) writes:
|> At Uniforum in Dallas last month, the new Sony laptop had a cute
|> application running.  In the window was a cat that would chase the
|> cursor (mouse).  Inside the window, the cat would grab the mouse and
|> (I think) sit on it.  If you moved the mouse outside the window, the
|> cat would try to grab the mouse, eventually give up, and fall asleep.

The program is called xneko and can be ftped from expo.lcs.mit.edu
in the contrib directory (full name is contrib/xneko.tar.Z)

-gustaf
----
Gustaf Neumann		neumann@dec4.wu-wien.ac.at, neumann@awiwuw11.bitnet
Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 2-6,  A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Tel: +43 (222) 31-336 x4533  	Fax 347-555

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (02/20/91)

> At Uniforum in Dallas last month, the new Sony laptop had a cute
> application running.  In the window was a cat that would chase the
> cursor (mouse).

The program you want is 'xneko,' which should be available at a server near
you.  Otherwise, the files should be in an fj.sources archive (I believe
ftp.cs.titech.ac.jp maintains such an archive).  The issues you want are:

9005/17: xneko -- X11 neko
9010/23: xneko on root window

The second article contains a patch which allows one to run the cat on the
root window (using 'xneko -back' or 'xneko -front').

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan
melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@uunet