[comp.sources.wanted] LaserJet 4 pages/1 piece of paper on UNIX

dfreuden@fis1004.shearson.com (David G Freudenstein) (03/07/91)

Hello

Does anyone know of a utility which makes a LaserJet print four pages on one
piece of paper?

I believe I have heard of such a beast under DOS, and a postscript version for
unix, but not a LASERJET version under UNIX, the latter being what I am now
looking for.

By the way, if there is some DOS version that has source code that's good
enough.

Thanks very much.

david freudenstein

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (03/08/91)

In article <DFREUDEN.91Mar7101053@fis1004.shearson.com> dfreuden@shearson.COM writes:
<Hello
<
<Does anyone know of a utility which makes a LaserJet print four pages on one
<piece of paper?
<
<I believe I have heard of such a beast under DOS, and a postscript version for
<unix, but not a LASERJET version under UNIX, the latter being what I am now
<looking for.
<
<By the way, if there is some DOS version that has source code that's good
<enough.

The problem with the HP LJ is that to get four pages to a page would require
the fonts that are used on the page to be scalable.  As you know, the fonts
are not scalable.  No scaling, no reducing.
--
      harvard\     att!nicmad\          spool.cs.wisc.edu!astroatc!vidiot!brown
Vidiot  ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

mdv@domain.com (Mike Verstegen) (03/09/91)

dfreuden@fis1004.shearson.com (David G Freudenstein) writes:

>Does anyone know of a utility which makes a LaserJet print four pages on one
>piece of paper?

Without using downloaded fonts or cartridges, the best you can do is
two pages side by side in landscape orientation. We have a filter that
gets two 66 line by 80 column blocks with a line down the middle to
separate them.

Mail me if you're interested...

Mike
--
Mike Verstegen          Domain Systems, Inc           Voice +1 407 686-7911
..!uunet!comtst!mdv     5840 Corporate Way #100       Fax   +1 407 478-2542