[comp.sources.wanted] SUMMARY: Convex Hull

butler@splvx1.csc.ti.com (03/14/91)

In article <1991Mar7.094959.463@splvx1.csc.ti.com>, butler@splvx1.csc.ti.com
wrote:

> A gentleman here is looking for an algorithm/PD software that finds the
> convex hull of a set of points (data) in multidimensions, i.e. a
> "shrink-wrap" around these data points.  The convex hull may be defined
> such that every point in the convex hull is the weighted average of
> the points in the original data set, with the weights summing to
> one.
>
> Please e-mail the answer and I will post a summary!

The summary follows:

- Several people noted that for dimensions over two, the problem
  becomes unbounded.  So the original posting should have been
  a request for the best approximation of the convex hull.

- No one mentioned any code, PD or commercial.  However, I did
  receive requests for copies of such code.  Thus, it's a good bet
  that such a code would be appreciated.

- The favorite reference was:
   Computational Geometry:  An Introduction
   by Preparata and Shamos
   Springer-Verlag  1985 or 1988?

   One person referenced:
     Algorithms by Sedgewick (Addison-Wesley)
       and
     Introduction to Algorithms by Cormen, Leiserson, and Rivest
         (McGraw-Hill/MIT Press)

Thanks for the responses.  If I get anymore, I will post them.
Steph

Stephanie Watts Butler     butler@crdecf.csc.ti.com
Texas Instruments

Normal and Typical Disclaimers.