[comp.sources.wanted] need public domain software for time series analysis

brian@king.csd.mot.com (03/15/91)

Can anyone out there point me to a public domain software package for
time series analysis (trends and regressions and such...) for either
UNIX or MSDOS?  Please reply by mail and I'll summarize.

Thanks,
--
-Brian Smithson
 Motorola Inc., Computer Group, Commercial Systems Division

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (03/15/91)

In article <3266@motcsd.csd.mot.com> brian@king.csd.mot.com writes:
>Can anyone out there point me to a public domain software package for
>time series analysis (trends and regressions and such...) for either
>UNIX or MSDOS?  Please reply by mail and I'll summarize.

It's a bordeline question whether trends and regressions can be
called time series analysis in the true sense of the word, and
particularly from the point of view of the methods needed.  If you
are talking about Box-Jenkins type of time-series then I have no
direct answer, but if you mean to use multivariate methods for
analysis observations which may come for time series data, the you
might take a look at /pc/ts/ts2st19.arc.  It contains the common
multivariate regression analysis and has Durbin-Watson for testing
the autocorrelation of the residuals.  If you also get ts1st19.arc
it contains run tests of observations, which also have a relation to
time series approach.  Furthermore there already is a summary of
statistical programs in /pc/doc/pdswstat.zip.  A consultation with
your local statistician for a clarification of what you really want
would be useful in your quest.  Then you might give the
sci.math.stat newgroup a try with the redefined question.

The wares are available by anonymous ftp from garbo.uwasa.fi, Vaasa,
Finland, 128.214.12.37, or by using our mail server (use the latter
if, and only if you don't have anonymous ftp).  If you are not
familiar with anonymous ftp or mail servers, I am prepared to send
prerecorded instructions on request.  (If you don't get the
instructions from me within a few days, it will mean that your email
address cannot be reached by a simple email reply.  Contact your
system manager for devicing a proper mail path for you, because
unless you do, you wouldn't be able to utilize the mail server
anyway.  If you are in North America first consider using an ftp
site near you to spare the overseas load.)

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37