[comp.sources.wanted] PD or commercial NDBM

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (03/16/91)

Hi -
	I am looking for an ndbm(3x) - available on bsd - implementation
for the sys V machines - either commercial or public domain. Can anybody
point me to such a beast?

thanks,
bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com (please email)

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (03/18/91)

>	I am looking for an ndbm(3x) - available on bsd - implementation
>for the sys V machines - either commercial or public domain. Can anybody
>point me to such a beast?

A truly public domain clone of ndbm is available: it is sdbm. it is
ftp-able from nexus.yorku.ca under pub/oz. If you cannot ftp it, let me
know, and I will mail you a copy.

A more powerful and fast alternative is berkeley "hash" (or dynahash)
package, ftp-able from ucbarpa under 4.3 (hash.tar.Z). It comes with an
ndbm emulation.

There is also something called gdbm.

oz
---
In seeking the unattainable, simplicity  |  Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
only gets in the way. -- Alan J. Perlis  |  Uucp: utai/utzoo!yunexus!oz

emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) (03/18/91)

In article <21906@yunexus.YorkU.CA> oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) writes:

   There is also something called gdbm.

   oz

oz, do any of the alternatives to gdbm that you mention (sdbm,
berkeley hash) have support for arbitrary sized key,value pairs?

that's the primary attraction of gdbm right now.

(don't you just hate arbitrary limits?)

--
 Msen	Edward Vielmetti
/|---	moderator, comp.archives

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (03/20/91)

In article <EMV.91Mar18010033@poe.aa.ox.com> emv@ox.com (Ed Vielmetti) writes:

>oz, do any of the alternatives to gdbm that you mention (sdbm,
>berkeley hash) have support for arbitrary sized key,value pairs?

Ed, Berkeley hash supports arbitrary sized key,value pairs, and is
capable of dealing with byte-order differences. It is also faster than
dbm/ndbm and any existing clones out there.

>don't you just hate arbitrary limits?

I do, but well, um, sometimes it is not that easy to come up with
reasonable software alternatives without those limits.

oz
---
Not all good things come with three	 | internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
pages of dogma and an attitude. - anon   | uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz