[comp.sources.wanted] Random number generator

blarson@castor.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (08/02/87)

I need a random number generator to incorperate with a port of a couple
of games to os9/68k.  Compatability with random/srandom or rand/srand
desired.
--
Bob Larson		Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,seismo!cit-vax}!oberon!castor!blarson

bob@sj.ate.slb.com (Bob Firestine) (03/21/91)

I am seeking random number generator, preferably written in C, that produces
exactly the same results as the standard UNIX rand() function.

Bob

Bob Firestine
Internet: bob@sj.ate.slb.com
UUCP:     {amdahl,decwrl,uunet}!sjsca4!bob

In article <1991Mar20.173807.1975@sj.ate.slb.com>, bob@sj.ate.slb.com (Bob Firestine) writes:
|> I am seeking random number generator, preferably written in C, that produces
|> exactly the same results as the standard UNIX rand() function.

  Telnet to "quiche.cs.mcgill.ca", log in as "archie" with no password, type
"set search exact" and then type "prog rand.c" and you will get a list of
archive sites that have freely redistributable sources for rand(3).

  You probably want this one, although you will have to modify the #include's
at the top unless you have ANSI C header files:

Host uunet.uu.net   (192.48.96.2)
Last updated 23:36  6 Mar 1991

    Location: /bsd-sources/lib/libc/stdlib
      FILE      r--r--r--      1358  Jun  1  1990   rand.c

There's a man page too:

Host uunet.uu.net   (192.48.96.2)
Last updated 23:36  6 Mar 1991

    Location: /bsd-sources/lib/libc/stdlib
      FILE      r--r--r--      1838  May 16  1990   rand.3

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

slamont@network.ucsd.edu (Steve Lamont) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.232437.19190@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
>  Telnet to "quiche.cs.mcgill.ca", log in as "archie" with no password, type
>"set search exact" and then type "prog rand.c" and you will get a list of
>archive sites that have freely redistributable sources for rand(3).

Uh... this is not a flame... anyway, not a very large one, but could Mr Kamens
please consider not replying to almost every post with some variation of the
above, or at least doing it via private mail?  Archie is indeed a nifty
service and deserves publicity, but...

							spl (the p stands for
							perhaps some
							moderation is in
							order?)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- (408) 646-2752 -- a guest at network.ucsd.edu --
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943

golds@fjc.GOV (golds) (03/22/91)

You should check into xrand (and xcrypt) developed by a (former?) grad
student at CMU.  It was distributed through comp.sources.misc some time
ago.  I have included a piece of the header below.  I do not know the
archive sites for this news group.  I am a satisfied user of xrand.

Rich Goldschmidt
golds@fjc.gov   or   uunet!fjcp60!golds

From: agn@UNH.CS.CMU.EDU (Andreas Nowatzyk)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.misc
Subject: v02i096: xrand, xcrypt -- a random number generator & application
Date: 13 Apr 88 17:19:34 GMT

Rich Goldschmidt: uunet!fjcp60!golds or golds@fjc.gov
Commercialization of space is the best way to escape the zero-sum economy.
Disclaimer: I don't speak for the government, and it doesn't speak for me...