[comp.sources.wanted] Making UUCP

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (03/18/91)

  A long time ago, when I was first connecting up to the net (about
1984 or 1985) I once received an ascii 'map' showing the connections
between sites. This was when there were under 500 sites, and the UUCP
Zone mapping project was in its infancy.

  Does ANYONE have any idea if these maps were produced from map data
or by hand? If via some program, does anyone have any idea what has
happened to them? I've checked the comp.sources.unix archives.

  NOTE: I'm not talking about pathalias and smail here. I know all
about those (too much if you ask me). I'm talking about things that
would produce things like the following (which I did by hand, but
quickly lost my patience when I realized I had to connect alzabo and
aficom, and I hadn't gotten cognos or gandalf into the picture yet):

 esleng--+----isishq----aficom	oak-----fozzi	entrnet
	 +        |       |      |         |        |
	 +        |       |      |         |        |
	micor-----+++++++++++++++++latour+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
	 +        +       |      |         |        |     |        |
   	 +        +	  |      |         |        |     |	   |
   	 +--gjk---+	atronx	 |	revcan	ottsun1  ljk----ecicrl
         +        +       | |    |         |              |
	 +	  +	  | ++++fts1+++++++++++++++++++++++
	 +	  +	  |      |
	 +	  +       |      |
	 |	  +-----alzabo   |
	 |        |		 |
	 |	  |	         |
	+++++++++++++++++++++++cunews++++++++++++++++++++

  I have this desire to run it on the Ottawa area maps. Ed Hew
<edhew@xenitec.on.ca> is also looking to run it on the
Kitchener-Waterloo maps.
  If you remember seeing this kind of thing, please send any pointers
to one of us. Thanks.

--
   :!mcr!:            |  The postmaster never | So much mail,
   Michael Richardson |    resolves twice.    |  so little time.

steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) (03/22/91)

As quoted from <1991Mar18.021454.18184@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca> by mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson):

+---------------
|   A long time ago, when I was first connecting up to the net (about
| 1984 or 1985) I once received an ascii 'map' showing the connections
| between sites. This was when there were under 500 sites, and the UUCP
| Zone mapping project was in its infancy.
|
|   Does ANYONE have any idea if these maps were produced from map data
| or by hand? If via some program, does anyone have any idea what has
| happened to them? I've checked the comp.sources.unix archives.
|
|   NOTE: I'm not talking about pathalias and smail here. I know all
| about those (too much if you ask me). I'm talking about things that
| would produce things like the following (which I did by hand, but
| quickly lost my patience when I realized I had to connect alzabo and
| aficom, and I hadn't gotten cognos or gandalf into the picture yet):
|
|  esleng--+----isishq----aficom	oak-----fozzi	entrnet
| 	 +        |       |      |         |        |
| 	 +        |       |      |         |        |
| 	micor-----+++++++++++++++++latour+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
| 	 +        +       |      |         |        |     |        |
|    	 +        +	  |      |         |        |     |	   |
|    	 +--gjk---+	atronx	 |	revcan	ottsun1  ljk----ecicrl
|        +        +       | |    |         |              |
| 	 +	  +	  | ++++fts1+++++++++++++++++++++++
| 	 +	  +	  |      |
| 	 +	  +       |      |
| 	 |	  +-----alzabo   |
| 	 |        |		 |
| 	 |	  |	         |
| 	 +++++++++++++++++++++++cunews++++++++++++++++++++
|
|   If you remember seeing this kind of thing, please send any pointers
| to one of us. Thanks.
+---------------

I remember a < uucp.map > file that was on the "{uunet|backbone}!alphacm"
system very much like the above, but it hasn't changed in years (I don't
think) and have been, myself, looking for some type of executable that
would make a < uucp.map > like your example or this exceprt below --

	ucivax____ucbvax____decvax____astrovax
	      \__mickey \         \_
	     alphacm__/  |         |\_bbncca____aoa
	                 |         |\_cwruecmp__ncoast
	                 |         |\_dartvax___uvm-gen___uvm-cs
	                 |         |\_emory_____sb1
	                 |         |       \____sb6
	                 |         |        \___sunatl

[ ...several deleted lines (about 300 lines!)... ]

	                 |\_trwrb_____cadovax
	                 |       \____desint
	                 |        \___randvax
	                 |\_ucbkim
	                 |\_ucbviolet
	                 |\_ucdavis___groucho
	                 |\_ulysses
	                 |\_unisoft
	                  \_vax135____lzwi______pegasus
	                          \___petsd_____pedsgd
	                                   \____pedsgo

...Yes, I too would like to get something that would generate a file
such as the above.

Regards....  Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backbone}!ncoast.org!nshore!steve        nshore!steve@ncoast.org

mcr@Sandelman.OCUnix.On.Ca (Michael Richardson) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar21.170639.1846@nshore.ncoast.org> steve@nshore.ncoast.org (Stephen J. Walick) writes:
>I remember a < uucp.map > file that was on the "{uunet|backbone}!alphacm"
>system very much like the above, but it hasn't changed in years (I don't
>think) and have been, myself, looking for some type of executable that
>would make a < uucp.map > like your example or this exceprt below --

  Rich $alv has informed me that the maps I saw were probably hand
made. I was referred to Brian Reid's postscript maps, but that isn't
really what I want. I don't give hoot about the physical geography.

>	ucivax____ucbvax____decvax____astrovax
>	      \__mickey \         \_
>	     alphacm__/  |         |\_bbncca____aoa
>	                 |         |\_cwruecmp__ncoast
>	                 |         |\_dartvax___uvm-gen___uvm-cs
>	                 |         |\_emory_____sb1
>	                 |         |       \____sb6
>	                 |         |        \___sunatl

  This looks like a tree to me. Probably based on news/inpaths.c info.
  Thanks anyway.

  I may try hacking at something soon. I'm supposed to become very
busy soon, so I should have lots to avoid :-)

--

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (03/27/91)

:
:+---------------
:|   A long time ago, when I was first connecting up to the net (about
:| 1984 or 1985) I once received an ascii 'map' showing the connections
:| between sites. This was when there were under 500 sites, and the UUCP
:| Zone mapping project was in its infancy.
:+---------------
:
:I remember a < uucp.map > file that was on the "{uunet|backbone}!alphacm"
:system very much like the above, but it hasn't changed in years (I don't
:think) and have been, myself, looking for some type of executable that
:would make a < uucp.map > like your example or this exceprt below --
:
:	ucivax____ucbvax____decvax____astrovax
:	      \__mickey \         \_

I cannot find my comp.sources.misc index file, but I wrote a program
called uumap that may be called that or it may be called umdb<something>.
I have it on an archive tape somewhere, but I don't know where.
I have a few problems here that makes it inconvienient to search
for the stuff just now.  If you can't find it in the c.s.m archive list,
e-mail me and I'll dig a bit.

It reads pathalias input or output (uses pathalias) and produces stuff like

             +-----c
   +---b-----+
   |         +-----d
a--+
   +---e-----+-----f
   +---g

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare, Mountain Park, GA         wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story.  It can give you the exact
mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows." -- Frank Zappa

prg@mgweed.UUCP (Gunsul) (03/27/91)

In article <383@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US>, wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
< :I remember a < uucp.map > file that was on the "{uunet|backbone}!alphacm"
< :system very much like the above, but it hasn't changed in years (I don't
< :think) and have been, myself, looking for some type of executable that
< :would make a < uucp.map > like your example or this exceprt below --
< :
< :	ucivax____ucbvax____decvax____astrovax
< :	      \__mickey \         \_
<
<
<              +-----c
<    +---b-----+
<    |         +-----d
< a--+
<    +---e-----+-----f
<    +---g
<
< ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
< Warren Tucker, TuckerWare, Mountain Park, GA         wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
< "The computer can't tell you the emotional story.  It can give you the exact
< mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows." -- Frank Zappa

I seem to remember that the 'print-out' was 80-column, then cut and pasted
side by side to make a wider map...

Sure would like to see one of those again!

--
AT&T 		|	 This space		| (708)-859-4485
Phil Gunsul	|	intentionally		| prg@mgweed.ATT.COM

kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) (03/29/91)

In article <383@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
>I cannot find my comp.sources.misc index file, but I wrote a program
>called uumap that may be called that or it may be called umdb<something>.
>I have it on an archive tape somewhere, but I don't know where.
>I have a few problems here that makes it inconvienient to search
>for the stuff just now.  If you can't find it in the c.s.m archive list,
>e-mail me and I'll dig a bit.
>
>It reads pathalias input or output (uses pathalias) and produces stuff like
>

>             +-----c
>   +---b-----+
>   |         +-----d
>a--+
>   +---e-----+-----f
>   +---g

The issues you are looking for are in volume9.

v09i063   umdb/part01       umdb - UUCP Map Database - part 01/02
v09i064   umdb/part02       umdb - UUCP Map Database - part 02/02

			-Kent+

--
Kent Landfield                   INTERNET: kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM
Sterling Software, IMD           UUCP:     uunet!sparky!kent

terry@pride386.UUCP (Terry Lyons) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.152602.974@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM>, kent@sparky.IMD.Sterling.COM (Kent Landfield) writes:
> In article <383@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US> wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
> >I cannot find my comp.sources.misc index file, but I wrote a program
> >called uumap that may be called that or it may be called umdb<something>.
>
> v09i063   umdb/part01       umdb - UUCP Map Database - part 01/02
> v09i064   umdb/part02       umdb - UUCP Map Database - part 02/02

hmmmmmmmmmm

I grabbed these and found NO map making routines

if the promised maps are made with this there must be a file missing ;-)

now maybe if we could fine uumap that might help
maybe its named something else and it reads the umdb stuff
Terry
*  UUNET ...!uunet!pride386!terry or ...!zardoz!pride386!terry           *
*  FAX  714 739 2203  *  WANTED: 1 fire-lizard, brown preferred          *