[comp.sources.wanted] Speeding up awk processing

streich@sgi.com (Mark Streich) (03/30/91)

What programs are available to speed up awk processing?  I recall there
being an awk->C translator.  Is this true, or am I dreaming?

Thanks.

Mark Streich
streich@sgi.com

In article <1991Mar29.193608.25056@odin.corp.sgi.com>, streich@sgi.com (Mark Streich) writes:
|> What programs are available to speed up awk processing?  I recall there
|> being an awk->C translator.  Is this true, or am I dreaming?

  I believe that AT&T sells an awk to C translator in one of their toolchests,
but it isn't free.

  Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (04/04/91)

Jonathan I. Kamens writes:

>  I believe that AT&T sells an awk to C translator in one of their toolchests,
>but it isn't free.

[disclaimer: I have no association with AT&T or ToolChest. I am just
a happy customer, glad to have some of this stuff available, even for
a fee.]

The translator is called "awkcc". The toolchest price for source is 175.00,
naturally, not freely redistributable.

Here is the brief description of Awkcc:

   Tool name: awkcc

   awkcc - awk to C translator

   awkcc is a preprocessor that translates awk code into C code. The  C
   code  is  then  compiled  using cc. awkcc can speed awk scripts by a
   factor of 2 to 6.  awkcc is transparent;  compiled  scripts  produce
   the same results as interpreted scripts.

   awkcc is easily ported and it has been used on a variety of machines
   and operating systems including System V, BSD4.3, and Sun 3.2.

   awkcc is meant to be used in conjunction with  awk,  an  interpreted
   pattern scanning and processing language.  The latest version of awk
   can be found in the Toolchest listed under "awk".

enjoy.	oz
---
What ought to disturb us are not mistakes  | Internet: oz@nexus.yorku.ca
in general, but only those of them that we | Uucp: utzoo/utai!yunexus!oz
are powerless to correct.  -- David Miller | Phone: 1+416-736-5257-33976

harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr3.112312.27113@athena.mit.edu>, jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> In article <1991Mar29.193608.25056@odin.corp.sgi.com>, streich@sgi.com (Mark Streich) writes:
> |> What programs are available to speed up awk processing?  I recall there
> |> being an awk->C translator.  Is this true, or am I dreaming?
>
>   I believe that AT&T sells an awk to C translator in one of their toolchests,
> but it isn't free.
>
>   Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here.

It is availible for $100 from the Unix Toolchest.  We have been quite
happy with it here.  In addition to (modestly) improving the execution
speed, Our users now give us credit for writing a "program" instead of
"just a shell script." :-)

The toolchest is availible via modem.  Dial 1-201-829-7256, (1200,7,E,1)
for information.
--
Mark Harrison             harrison@ssd.dl.nec.com
(214)518-5050             {necntc, cs.utexas.edu}!necssd!harrison