[comp.sources.wanted] Filters for paintjet

mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au (Mark Ferraretto) (04/15/91)

I want to print GIF, xbm, pbm and postscript files on a HP Paintjet.  Does
anybody have filters for this kind of stuff?

--
       _             Name  : Mark Ferraretto	   Title: Computing Officer
      \  \           Place : Department of Physics and Mathematical Physics
==========>==>==--   Aarnet: mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au

montra@ghost.unimi.it (Paolo Montrasio) (04/15/91)

mferrare@physics.adelaide.edu.au (Mark Ferraretto) writes:

>I want to print GIF, xbm, pbm and postscript files on a HP Paintjet.  Does
>anybody have filters for this kind of stuff?

I work on a hp9000s800 computer running under hp-x 7.0 equipped with a HP
PaintJet printer.
When I want to print a GIF (the same applies to the other formats) I follow
these steps:
1) I visualize it using xv, a nice PD program you can find on ftp.uu.net in
   /comp.sources.x/volume10/xv.
2) Be sure that the window the GIF is displayed in, is not overlapped by
   another window.
3) type xwd -nobdrs > file.xwd. Move the cursor on the GIF window and
   click. Wait for the program to complete.
4) type xpr -device pj < file.xwd > file.xpr
5) cat file.xpr | lp -d<destination for the PaintJet> -onb -oraw
6) wait.. :-)

Problems:
1) I hope you have xwd and xpr I don't know were you can find them, since I
   already had them with the O.S. !
2) The paintJet can only print 16 different colors on the same line, out of
   a 330 colors palette. This means that you cannot print a 256 colors GIF.
   There are 2 way to circmvent this limitation:
   - convert the GIF in a dithered bitmap using xv, then follow steps from
     1) thru 6)
   - use the -ncols 16 option of xv to display the GIF in 16 colors.
   I prefer to print the picture in black and white, because the colors
   produced by the PJ are not very close to the ones you see on the screen
   and the result is quite bad.