[comp.sources.wanted] OCR software

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/01/90)

In article <743@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, flash@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Stephen Corbesero) writes:

> We would like to use a full page scanner to read a page of text.  Are
> there any good software packages out there to read an image file and
> do the necessary image processing to convert it to ASCII?  I have seen
> references to some packages that cost in the range of $150-$300, as
> add-ons to some hand-held scanners.  A public domain program would be
> our first choice, but we would certainly like to know what a good
> package is if we need to buy one.

I'll bet a lot of people are looking for this.  Although, if I had to, I
would settle for a DOS program that does this, what I would really like to
get is source so it could be ported to UNIX.  I realize there is a lot of
work in teaching it fonts but I seems that if we (the USENET community)
could come up with something like this, this would be ideal place to get a
fancy, debugged version in the long run.

I, for one, would be willing to put some effort into such a project.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

belanger@philmtl.philips.ca (Robert Belanger) (02/01/90)

We have here two OCR from Calera Inc ( previously known as Palantir Corp )
One is a PC add-on card (AT-size) with a 68020 and lots of ram(2or4 megs)
and connection for a SCSI port for a scanner. We also have a UNIX add-on
which is a Ethernet connected-scanner and OCR. it contains 4 68000 and the
new version we do not have contains 4 68020 CPUs. It does a fair to very good
job depending on the quality of the input. scanning is fast (1 min/page).
It can read sideways but not at angle. For more info you should contact
Calera Systems. Sorry I can't find the info now but if someone needs it
e-mail to me.

Robert Belanger
belanger@philmtl.philips.ca

kamemoto@spf.trw.com (Kenneth Kamemoto) (04/24/91)

     Is there any OCR (optical character recognition) software
available in the public domain that runs on SUN/UNIX/C?  It should
run on a Sun 3 under the SunOS 4.0.3 or 4.1.1 operating system.
Thank you in advance.
--
Kenneth I. Kamemoto

--