[comp.sources.wanted] Updated rz/sz

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/02/91)

Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.UNIX>
File name:   RZSZ9103.TAR-Z
Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for many flavors of Unix
File type:   Compressed tar archive

Rename to rzsz.tar.Z after transferring with FTP in TENEX mode,
uncompress and then extract with command:  tar xfv rzsz.tar

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
File name:   RZSZ9103.TLB
Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for VAX/VMS
File type:   VMS Text LIBrary

This is a binary file which should be stored as a 512 byte FIXED
record file with carriage control NONE on VMS.

To extract files from rzsz.tlb, issue the following DCL commands:

$ LIB/EXTRACT=EXTRACT_TLB^COM/OUTPUT=EXTRACT_TLB.COM rzsz.tlb
$ @EXTRACT_TLB rzsz/exit

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) (04/04/91)

In article <5602@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil writes:
%Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
%updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
%available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

 Could someone give a brief description about what these "updates"
 actually are? I use the version from April 1988.

--
Kevin Carothers   {csun,psivax,philabs,retix}!ttidca!kevin

todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) (04/04/91)

In article <5602@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil writes:
]Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
]updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
]available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

]File name:   RZSZ9103.TAR-Z

Does anyone have an nroff-able man page for this latest release? I noticed
that it only comes with a preformatted man page.
--
Todd Ogasawara ::: Hawaii Medical Service Association
Internet       ::: todd@pinhead.pegasus.com

toma@swsrv1.cirr.com (Tom Armistead) (04/06/91)

In article <5602@vela.acs.oakland.edu> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil writes:
>%Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for Unix and VAX/VMS has been updated.  The
>%updated files were obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and are now
>%available from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

I don't have access to ftp - could someone post the phone number of Chuck
Foresburgs BBS - I would like a new copy of rzsz.

Thanks,
Tom
--
Tom Armistead - Software Services - 2918 Dukeswood Dr. - Garland, Tx  75040
{void,egsner}!swsrv1!toma                           mic!ozdaltx!swsrv1!toma

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/06/91)

In article <25281@ttidca.TTI.COM> kevin@ttidca.TTI.COM (Kevin Carothers) writes:
:
> Could someone give a brief description about what these "updates"
> actually are? I use the version from April 1988.
:

If your current system works, I don't know any real reason to
update.  I speak from a heavy Unix <--> PC file transfer experience.
This is simple logic, not any adverse relection on the product (it's
a good one, alright).

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr03.214136.24650@pinhead.pegasus.com> todd@pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
-Does anyone have an nroff-able man page for this latest release? I noticed
-that it only comes with a preformatted man page.

Troff source for the man pages will be included on the registration diskette
mailed to paid rz/sz registrants.
--
"Many such [diet] programs proffer treatment as though it were established as
safe and effective.   Nothing in the results published by research programs

rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) (04/09/91)

Why were the -a, -b, and -y options removed from this version?

//richard

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/11/91)

In article <22317@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
-Why were the -a, -b, and -y options removed from this version?

They are supported whan passed from the sending program.
The new Rz also supports Crash Recovery.
--
"Many such [diet] programs proffer treatment as though it were established as
safe and effective.   Nothing in the results published by research programs
authorizes anyone to make such claims."
	-William Bennett,   Harvard Medical School Health Letter

  (Note the cross-post and Followup-To.)

In article <75@omen.UUCP>, caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
|> In article <22317@yunexus.YorkU.CA> rreiner@yunexus.YorkU.CA (Richard Reiner) writes:
|> -Why were the -a, -b, and -y options removed from this version?
|>
|> They are supported whan passed from the sending program.
|> The new Rz also supports Crash Recovery.

According to one of the people at my site who uses rx for transferring files
to our Unix box fairly often:

>The "sending program" usually does NOT have a -a option, since the sending
>program is usually a standard PC software, with standard xmodem transfers.
>The Unix end should be able to do it, even if the PC end is not using
>Forsberg's program.

So, if it's true that there are some sending programs that do not know how to
specify -a, -b and -y when sending, then shouldn't the flags have been left in
the receiving programs?

And, if not, then how does my user get around the problem that his xmodem
sending program doesn't know how to automatically tell the receiver to do the
-a, -b, -y conversions, and there's no way to manually tell the receiver to do
the conversions?

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace

w8sdz@rigel.acs.oakland.edu (Keith Petersen) (04/25/91)

Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for VAX/VMS has been updated.  The updated
file was obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and is now available
from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].

Directory:   PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
File name:   RZSZ9104.TLB

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/28/91)

In article <1991Apr25.215246.1@urc.tue.nl> rcivan@urc.tue.nl writes:
-> Chuck Forsberg's rz/sz for VAX/VMS has been updated.  The updated
-> file was obtained directly from Chuck's BBS and is now available
-> from WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL [26.2.0.74].
->
-> Directory:   PD1:<MISC.VAXVMS>
-> File name:   RZSZ9104.TLB
-> Function:    X/Y/Zmodem for VAX/VMS
-> File type:   VMS Text LIBrary
->
-Does this version works in combination with TELIX ? The previous version
-did not.

Easy. Just shell out to DSZ for the transfers.