[net.cooks] food irradiation

linda@inuxa.UUCP (Linda Pearlstein) (02/23/84)

    As I understand it, it's not the radiation which is of
concern -- presumably you can objectively determine whether
the irradiated food contains residual radiation -- but
rather the nature of the chemical changes induced by
irradiation.  It is these chemical alterations which
preserve the food; how they work and whether they might
be harmful still needs to be understood.

phil@amd70.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (02/28/84)

> From: linda@inuxa.UUCP (Linda Pearlstein)
> Newsgroups: net.cooks
> Subject: food irradiation
>
>     As I understand it, it's not the radiation which is of
> concern -- presumably you can objectively determine whether
> the irradiated food contains residual radiation -- but
> rather the nature of the chemical changes induced by
> irradiation.  It is these chemical alterations which
> preserve the food; how they work and whether they might
> be harmful still needs to be understood.

I thought radiation preserved food by killing the bacteria.
If that's not true, please explain how canning works.
(and don't say it's because it's cooked as cooked food rots too)
--
Phil Ngai (408) 988-7777 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra,intelca}!amd70!phil

wct@mordor.UUCP (03/02/84)

For those of of interested in irradiation of food--the following
is the catalog description of a book published by the Chemical
Rubber Company on that subject.  Perhaps your local university
library might have a copy.
I might have to find a copy just to see if the proper term
is now radurization instead of irradiation (see the Vol. 3 description).
Here's hoping the process can at least eliminate sodium nitrates, etc.
in hot dogs!

"Preservation of Food by Ionizing Radiation"

Edited by Edward S. Josephson, Phd, MIT, & Martin Peterson, PhD,
Science and Technology, Natick, Mass.

A comprehensive, authoritave account of the underlying science and
technology of this food preservation process.  The ionizing radiation
process is described in detail from the chemical, physical, and
biological effects on food to the problems and limitations encountered,
and the successful application to specific food groups.

Vol. 1: Presents a concise description of the philosophy of radiation,
protection for people working with irradiation processes, including
problems associated with the design and operation of a large facility
and solutions to problems encountered.  Radiation dosimetry and
radiolytic effects in foods are also presented.  400 pp, 1982,
ISBN-0-8493-5323-8.       Catalog No. 5323ME  $99.50

Vol. 2: Effects of radiation on bacteria and viruses are discussed as
well as the lethal effect on microorganisms and insects.  Also
presented are the effects of irradiated food on packaging materials.
360 pp., 1983, ISBN-0-8493-5324-6.   Catalog No. 5324ME, $92.50

Vol. 3:  The effects of radurization on meats, poultry, fish, shellfish,
fruits, vegetables, and spices.  Also included are the effects of irradiation
for the use of shelf-life extension.  296 pp., 1983, ISBN-0-8493-5325-4.
Catalog No. 5325ME, $90.00

Publisher:  CRC Press, Inc. 2000 Corporate Blvd., N.W.,
            Boca Raton, Florida 33431    (305) 994-0555

--
	William C. Thompson III (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
        U.S. Mail: LLNL, S-1 Project, P.O. Box 5503, L-276, Livermore, Ca., 94550

metcalf@inmet.UUCP (03/04/84)

#R:inuxa:-27200:inmet:3500033:000:167
inmet!metcalf    Feb 29 11:23:00 1984

It is my understanding that the irradiation doesn't work by
changing the nature of the food, but by doing in any bugs
or microbes that might be present.

				-wcm