[comp.sources.wanted] Sources for PD ksh

sandeep@orc.olivetti.com (Sandeep Nijhawan) (05/09/91)

	Where can I find a PD version of ksh for either System V or
BSD (or SunOS) ? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
Sandeep

--------------
sandeep@orc.olivetti.com

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (05/09/91)

In article <49622@ricerca.UUCP> sandeep@orc.olivetti.com (Sandeep Nijhawan) writes:

>	Where can I find a PD version of ksh for either System V or
>BSD (or SunOS) ? Any help is much appreciated.

May I suggest you to use FSF's bash 1.07 instead?  I got a very recent one
running on my ESIX V R 3.2 rev D i386 box.  After several hours playing and
testing it against the true Korn shell's man pages,  I became so disappointed
that I junked the entire thing.  If you want to use a shell that has some
Korn shell features, bash is closer, much closer, than the so called PD ksh.

Bash is also far more actively maintained even though it has got it's own
share of problems.  But most problems I have encountered in v1.5/1.6 have
gone away.  A simple example is that you no longer have file names in the
distribution longer than the infamous 14 chars, a legacy of old SysV. (My
ESIX has BSD FFS and thus 255 chars file names).

If you really want to try the PD ksh, try to give archie a call.  I am sure
you will find many sites archiving this animal.  But I am not sure whether
you will be willing to use it on a daily basis.  I am certain that I won't
want to use it so in a production environment.  The one I had was very buggy
indeed and it should be the most recent already.  Maybe others have some
happier news?

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department