[comp.sources.wanted] ANYONE SELLING CLIPPER '87 ???

tnk@artemis.cs.wayne.edu (Tahir N. Khan) (05/09/91)

Hi,
  I am doing this for my cousin whose company is looking
  for someone who is willing to sell a copy of Clipper 4.0,
  which I am told is also known as Summer of 87. The
  company that has developed Clipper, Nautican???, will not
  sell Clipper 4.0 since Clipper 5.0 has now been released.
  Supposedly, selling copies of software that you legally
  own is also legal. So, if anyone would like to respond to
  this request please send the necessary info at my email
  address and I will forward it to my cousin.

  Thanks.

  Tahir N. Khan
  Computer Science Dept.
  Wayne State University

tleylan@pegasus.com (Tom Leylan) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.193637.27697@cs.wayne.edu> tnk@cs.wayne.edu (Tahir N. Khan) writes:

>Hi,
>  I am doing this for my cousin whose company is looking
>  for someone who is willing to sell a copy of Clipper 4.0,
>  which I am told is also known as Summer of 87. The
>  company that has developed Clipper, Nautican???, will not
>  sell Clipper 4.0 since Clipper 5.0 has now been released.
>  Supposedly, selling copies of software that you legally
>  own is also legal. So, if anyone would like to respond to
>  this request please send the necessary info at my email
>  address and I will forward it to my cousin.
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  Tahir N. Khan
>  Computer Science Dept.
>  Wayne State University

Tahir,  Just to clarify things.  The company is Nantucket Corporation and
somebody can transfer their license but they are not "legally" permitted
to sell the old disks that they used to upgrade to the latest version.

What invariably happens is that the purchaser of the old disks sends in a
request to upgrade and has to be turned down which makes for an unhappy
customer.

I would suggest that your cousin stick with version 5.01 which has just been
released, is rock solid and is what everybody is going to be using within the
next couple of months.  No magazine is going to cover S'87 code, books will be
in short supply, nobody will offer S'87 training.  The developer's conference
this June in Palm Desert has maybe one workshop that mentions S'87 and that
one is mine "Evolving S'87 code to 5.0".  Once you change there is no way
you'll want to go backward.

tom