[comp.sources.wanted] Encryption source?

gcs@polari.UUCP (Greg Sheppard) (05/25/91)

Looking for sources for unix programs to encrypt text files (something
which would require a key to decrypt).  What I'd like to do is
decrypt my mailbox before reading and then re-encrypt it when finished.
Doesn't have to be insanely secure...but the more difficult to break the
better.
--
Greg Sheppard                        Internet:  imop@wa-ngnet.army.mil
WAARNG, Tacoma, WA, USA              UUCP:      ...!polari!gcs

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (05/28/91)

Greg> Looking for sources for unix programs to encrypt text files (something
Greg> which would require a key to decrypt).

I have (several) such programs, using either the DES or UNIX crypt
algorithm. Furthermore, I know of at least one FTP site that have such
programs. BUT, you cannot have these programs.

In it's wisdom, your government has decided that such programs are a
threat to your national security and therefore must not be traded
between a person in the U.S.A. and a person outside the U.S.A.

These programs are easy to implement, as the algorithms are Public
Domain and not under any export restrictions. It is only the software
implementations that are not allowed. This is why these programs are
readily available all over the world.

SO: I have this program, but since the US government feel that it
would be a threat to it's security to have anyone outside the US have
it, I am not allowed to send it to you, since you are inside the US
and I am outside. I can, on the other hand, freely send it to anyone
NOT in the US, including a person in the USSR.

You might like to discuss this with your congressman (or whatever you
call it).

(In case you are asking yourself: WHY?, the answer is: "technical trade
restriction". Look it up).

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   | It takes an uncommon mind to think of
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. | these things.  -- Calvin

eeh@Dixie.Com (Ed Howland) (05/30/91)

gcs@polari.UUCP (Greg Sheppard) writes:

>Looking for sources for unix programs to encrypt text files (something
>which would require a key to decrypt).  What I'd like to do is
>decrypt my mailbox before reading and then re-encrypt it when finished.
>Doesn't have to be insanely secure...but the more difficult to break the
>better.

Why not just use the crypt(1) filter program? Assuming you are using unix.
My system also provides the library function run_encrypt(3X) which handles
the neccesary popen() calls to crypt(1) from inside your program. This is
(BTW) how vi can encrypt/decrypt your files while letting you work in
plaintext. If you want the sources to a public domain DES c version, they
are even on the net or avaliable via anon ftp. Reply to this post and I'll
direct you further.

Ed Howland.
eeh@dixie.com
..[emory,uunet]!rsiatl!eeh

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:

>In it's wisdom, your government has decided that such programs are a
>threat to your national security and therefore must not be traded
>between a person in the U.S.A. and a person outside the U.S.A.

>These programs are easy to implement, as the algorithms are Public
>Domain and not under any export restrictions. It is only the software
>implementations that are not allowed. This is why these programs are
>readily available all over the world.

>SO: I have this program, but since the US government feel that it
>would be a threat to it's security to have anyone outside the US have
>it, I am not allowed to send it to you, since you are inside the US
>and I am outside. I can, on the other hand, freely send it to anyone
>NOT in the US, including a person in the USSR.

Question: If one were to implement a program using one of these DES
schemes, and then compile the code, and use the resulting binary
(presumably, harder to reverse-engineer) in a system that was then
exported to say, Canada, would one be in violation?

If one had say, Unix SYSVR4 loaded on his T5100 laptop and were to fly to
Alaska with a layover in Vancouver, and lost his luggage enroute, would
one be in violation?

Just wondering.

Ed Howland
eeh@dixie.com
..[emory,uunet]!rsiatl!eeh

clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca (Chris Lewis) (05/31/91)

In article <20170@rsiatl.Dixie.Com> eeh@Dixie.Com (Ed Howland) writes:
>fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) writes:
>>SO: I have this program, but since the US government feel that it
>>would be a threat to it's security to have anyone outside the US have
>>it, I am not allowed to send it to you, since you are inside the US
>>and I am outside. I can, on the other hand, freely send it to anyone
>>NOT in the US, including a person in the USSR.

>Question: If one were to implement a program using one of these DES
>schemes, and then compile the code, and use the resulting binary
>(presumably, harder to reverse-engineer) in a system that was then
>exported to say, Canada, would one be in violation?

The short answer is: yes.  Technically.

My understanding of this situation is as follows (pieced together from
experiences with filling out Export Licensing forms, and a chat that
Rich Salz had with a chap from the NSA (and I think the CIA) when
I brought this issue up over a comp.sources.unix posting back in around
'86.  Plus some other research.  The situation may have changed, so you
are advised to check)

Encryption implementations are classified as a "munition" in the states,
and the regulations supercede the more normally applicable Dept. of
Commerce rules.  Under the COCOMM rules, each country is placed in a
group w.r.t. the permissibility of exporting items to it.  There are
certain countries where you cannot export advanced technology (eg: 386
processors, high performance disks, weaponry, encryption implementations,
software etc.) at all, only under specific conditions/licenses, or freely.

The rules restrict encryption *implementations*, not algorithsms.   After
all, the DES algorithm has been published in many places over the years,
so restricting it is pointless (not that this matters to the bureaucrats,
but never mind).  Encryption technology is fairly highly restricted.  One
example is that you apparently cannot export Enigma (now considered obsolete German
encryption system from WWII) to Britain.  Which is kinda ironic, since Britain
delivered the thing to the US in the first place.  The rules for Canada for DES
is that (last I heard), you can only export DES implementations to Canada
for "authentification" purposes (ie: ATM machines) but not encrypted
communication.  Further, each exportation of such technology must
be cleared via export license first.

As other confirmation, one should be aware that most US companies delivering
UNIX have created an "international" version, which doesn't contain
the crypt(1) utility.  Or, have separated the encryption stuff (crypt(1),
ed's encryptor and encrypted mail) into a separate package that cannot be exported
out of the US.  There have been claims that this wasn't really necessary
(including, I think, from Dennis Ritchie), but given RS's account of his
conversation with the people who would be the ones charging violations, I
wouldn't want to test it without being prepared to challenge it in court.  I
know that both AT&T and ISC have had this policy as recently as their 386
UNIXen.

One additional complication to bear in mind is that many countries have
reciprocal agreements with the USA, where these other countries have to apply for
US export licenses for their own exports.  For example, a Canadian company
once got into serious trouble with both US and Canadian governments for
exporting locomotives to Cuba.  In that particular case, they were locomotives
built in Canada under license from a US company, but this may apply
to designed/built in Canada stuff too, depending on the classification.

Things must get really wierd when you consider that some of the DES chip
sets are produced in off-shore plants.  I believe at least one DES chip
manufacturer has ceased production of the chips, and I know of other
manufacturers abandoning products built with these chips because of the
export license stuff.

At times, US restrictions have gone to considerably more ridiculous
lengths to "protect their interests".  In one particular instance
(possibly apocryphal) US officials have blocked Russian scientists from
making presentations in American conferences...  This was back in the
bad old days where NSA had defacto prior approval on all publications and
patents in advanced technology fields, but this is no longer true.

Therefore, if you were to ship product to Canada without acquiring an export
license for an embedded DES implementation, you would indeed be in violation.
Most (if not all) UNIX vendors are already aware of this eventuality, and
have stripped it out of export versions of their UNIX.

On the other hand, I am unaware of any prosecutions of this.  DES
implementations have been posted on the net a couple of times.  It may very
well be that the powers-that-be don't consider these breaches to
be worth pursuing.

>If one had say, Unix SYSVR4 loaded on his T5100 laptop and were to fly to
>Alaska with a layover in Vancouver, and lost his luggage enroute, would
>one be in violation?

Good question.
--
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Domain: clewis@ferret.ocunix.on.ca