[comp.sources.wanted] Postscript to dot-matrix-printer conversion possible?

moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) (05/31/91)

Netlanders,

Is there a conversion program available that will allow me to convert a
Postscript file to a a file that may be printed on an LQ-compatible printer
with graphics capability?

I've searched c.s.m and c.s.u newsgruops, and all I've found is something to go
in the opposite direction.

Thank you,

- Paul

wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.160534.10439@hollie.rdg.dec.com> moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
>Netlanders,
>
>Is there a conversion program available that will allow me to convert a
>Postscript file to a a file that may be printed on an LQ-compatible printer
>with graphics capability?
>
>I've searched c.s.m and c.s.u newsgruops, and all I've found is something to go
>in the opposite direction.
>
>Thank you,
>
>- Paul

Ghostscript from the FSF people does EXACTLY what you want.  I know - I
use it!

Get it from prep.ai.mit.edu.  You'll need both the program AND the
fonts.  Version 2.1.1 is what I have but version 2.2 is supposed to be
released momentarily.  Use the Canon Bubblejet BJ10e driver if YOUR LQ
supports 360 X 360 DPI, hack it slightly (I can send you the diffs if
you need them) if, like mine, your LQ-clone only supports 180 X 180 DPI.

Good luck!
--
Bill Meahan (WA8TZG)             |   Programming is simple:
wwm@wa8tzg.mi.org  OR            |

paulm@dorjam.UUCP (Owner and User) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May30.160534.10439@hollie.rdg.dec.com>, moore@forty2.enet.dec.com (Paul Moore) writes:
> Netlanders,
>
> Is there a conversion program available that will allow me to convert a
> Postscript file to a a file that may be printed on an LQ-compatible printer
> with graphics capability?

   Yes, I've been waiting to hear the question answered also.   Paul, if you
   get an positive answere by Email, could you please forward me a copy?
   I too have seen the reverse but I'm waiting to here the other way around.
   I have the source for ghostscript and I suppose with some (alot) of effort
   this could do it.

                                \  Paul Moreau  Orange, California
 UUCP:  ..!ccicpg!dorjam!paulm   \
                                \  Paul Moreau  Orange, California
 UUCP:  ..!ccicpg!dorjam!paulm   \

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (06/04/91)

ghostscript from GNU is a free interpreter
for a postscript-like language (read "a GNU
postscript interpreter").  I was using ghostscript
to drive an epson with no real problems.   Unfortunately,
it didn't seem to do real well with fonts, which takes
me to...

There are several commercial (DOS or MAC) interpreters available -- I've
experimented with all three:
     Ultrascript PC -- expensive ($130ish),  requires expanded memory (can't run
                               in real mode e.g. windows or DOS merge).
                               Handles type 3 fonts *only*.   I didn't get a chance to
                               really test drive ultrascript because I use DOS merge.
     GoScript -          moderate ($99ish).  Can run in real mode (i.e. under DOS merge)
                               Has a quicky preview to vga mode, which can be handy.
                               Handles type 3 fonts *only*.  It was pretty speedy and functional,
                               but I found a bug in version 3.0e which prevented troff output
                               from working.   LaserGo support produced a fixed version very
                               quickly.   High marks for support -- they have a bboard and they
                               use it well.   Drives my Epson LQ510 in 360x180 mode.
Freedom Of Press -  cheap ($55ish).  Can run in real mode.   Doesn't have a preview
                               mode, but it can generate pcx files which is almost as good.
                               Handles type 1 and type 3 fonts.   I haven't uncovered any
                               bugs, but tech support has been very responsive to questions.
                               Drives my Epson LQ510 in 180x180, 360x180 or 360x360.   Has
                               drivers for more printers (and more variants of printers) than
                               GoScript and Ultrascript PC combined.    Drawbacks -- no
                               interactive mode; no quiet (direct to printer) mode.   You have to
                               create a file and send it to the printer using a batch file.  (under
                               UNIX, you can get around this.   I have Freedom of Press installed
                               as a filter in my lp spooling system.   Interested parties can send
                               mail to erik@gogoman.sf.ca.us (or gogoman!erik@decwrl.dec.com)
                               for details or source code).

Editor's choice:  Freedom of Press
                                      Handles hinted (type1) fonts and lets me choose high or low
                                      resolution for my printer and generate PCX draft files.
Honorable mention:        GoScript
                                     If GoScript could handle type 1 fonts, I probably would've stuck
                                     with it.   Integrating GoScript into my system was a little easier
                                     than freedom of press (not that integrating freedom of press was
                                     all that tough).   Tech Support gets high marks.