[comp.sources.wanted] zmodem

H462BATM@ncoast.UUCP (08/28/87)

Hello,
  Does anyone know any zmodem software?? I need a zmodem for uploading
and downloading files rather then slow xmodem. If you know, please
let me know...

-- Tim Stark

Bitnet: h462batms@gallua.bitnet
Usenet: ...!psuvax1!gallua.bitnet!h462batms
Qlink:  TimS18
Arpanet: h462batms%gallua.bitnet%wiscvm.wisc.edu
Csnet:   h462batms%gallua.bitnet@relay.cs.net

phill@boulder.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <4276@ncoast.UUCP> H462BATM@GALLUA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.EDU writes:
>  Does anyone know any zmodem software?? I need a zmodem for uploading
>and downloading files rather then slow xmodem. If you know, please
>let me know...
>
>-- Tim Stark

	I would also like a copy of this. Thanx!
| Phill Hein		| ...!hao!boulder!tut!phill			|
| 2501 S Leyden St.	| OR phill@tut.colorado.edu			|
| Denver, CO 80222	|						|
|			| "A day without sunshine is like night." 	|
| Ph# 759-4275		|						|
|     757-1598		| 						|

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Wolford) (08/31/87)

I have a set of programs written by Chuck Forsberg of Omen Technologies
called rz and sz which supports XMODEM, YMODEM, YMODEM BATCH, and ZMODEM.
(but not old XMODEM BATCH).

These sources were posted to the net about a year ago, if interested in a
copy send me email.

Jeff Wolford
ihnp4!iwsag!jww
                        +-- ihlpa!wolfordj
seismo --\              |
          > -- ihnp4 ---+-- iwsag!jww
decvax --/              |
                        +-- iwsag!iw3btjw!jww

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (09/04/87)

The current version of sz and rz were mailed to uunet!sources a few days
ago.  Watch for them in comp.sources.unix on a network near you.

scharff@ucunx1.san.uc.edu (Guillermo Scharffenorth) (04/03/91)

I want to write a DA to down/upload files using zmodem.  The problem is I have
no idea where to look for the zmodem source code (or implementation information)
Does anybody know where I can get information about this.  It would be great
if I could get the code in Pascal or C.

Thanks

Guillermo Scharffenorth.
(Please, email directly to me; scharff@ucunix.san.uc.edu)

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr2.210019.19198@ucunx1.san.uc.edu> scharff@ucunx1.san.uc.edu (Guillermo Scharffenorth) writes:
-I want to write a DA to down/upload files using zmodem.  The problem is I have

Pete Mackie (Seaquest Software) is developing DA's which will
include ZMODEM and ZMODEM-90(Tm.

--
"Many such [diet] programs proffer treatment as though it were established as
safe and effective.   Nothing in the results published by research programs

sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) (06/05/91)

I would like to do zmodem file transfers on my computer at work.
I have an NCD machine (xwindows) hooked up to a unix machine.

Is there a telnet client that has been hacked to do zmodem transfers?
Or maybe an xterm that has been modified likewise?  Does anyone have
any suggestions?

David

dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Dave Wolfe) (06/06/91)

In <1991Jun4.234241.4762@milton.u.washington.edu> sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) writes:

>I would like to do zmodem file transfers on my computer at work.
>I have an NCD machine (xwindows) hooked up to a unix machine.

>Is there a telnet client that has been hacked to do zmodem transfers?
>Or maybe an xterm that has been modified likewise?  Does anyone have
>any suggestions?

Yes, quit trying to kill gnats w/ a cannon -- just run the zmodem
package from comp.sources.unix in an xterm window.

--
Dave Wolfe (dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com)		| Motorola Incorporated
"[RISC is] like obscenity,			| MMTG (formerly MPG)

sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.174530.16645@oakhill.sps.mot.com> dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Dave Wolfe) writes:
>Yes, quit trying to kill gnats w/ a cannon -- just run the zmodem
>package from comp.sources.unix in an xterm window.
>
>--
>Dave Wolfe (dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com)		| Motorola Incorporated
>"[RISC is] like obscenity,			| MMTG (formerly MPG)
> we all know what RISC is when we see it,	| Austin, Texas  78735-8598
> but no one can define it."	Chris Torek	| m/d OE112  (512)891-3246

Yes, but I don't think that this will behave as a terminal.  I want
to be able to telnet to a modem, dial a BBS, and download a file using
z-modem.

Someone suggested that I get a program called Pcomm, but it appears to
only work on Sys V.  Is that right?  I can't get it to compile on my
machine.

David

dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Dave Wolfe) (06/07/91)

In <1991Jun5.220442.20692@milton.u.washington.edu> sisley@milton.u.washington.edu (David Barr) writes:

>In article <1991Jun5.174530.16645@oakhill.sps.mot.com> dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Dave Wolfe) shoots from the hip (and misses :-):
>>Yes, quit trying to kill gnats w/ a cannon -- just run the zmodem
>>package from comp.sources.unix in an xterm window.

>Yes, but I don't think that this will behave as a terminal.  I want
>to be able to telnet to a modem, dial a BBS, and download a file using
>z-modem.

So what you really want is a communications line manager, a.k.a. a
terminal emulator on other systems?  Then the zmodem transfer program
is purely secondary to the connection.  For PD stuff, I guess kermit is
as good as any.

As was pointed out to me via e-mail, the zmodem programs are going to
use stdin/stdout, which will be the telnet connection, not the modem.
They're intended to be used as more of a server that's called from
other systems to transfer files.  I didn't see any way in the man page
to redirect the zmodem communication to another port (I didn't look too
hard), but it shouldn't be that big of a deal to hack it to open some
designated port and do the transfer.  As the following from the sz man
page says:

    This program is not designed to be called from cu(1) or
    other communications programs.  Unix flavors of Omen
    Technology's Professional-YAM communications software are
    available for dial-out applications.

Their address:

    Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
    Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
      Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
    17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
    TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

Hope this helps more than my first suggestion.

--
Dave Wolfe (dwolfe@oakhill.sps.mot.com)		| Motorola Incorporated
						| MMTG (formerly MPG)
 (Imagine a really witty quote here.)		| Austin, Texas  78735-8598