[comp.sources.wanted] kermit

m5@lynx.uucp (Mike McNally) (06/15/89)

I'm sure virtually everybody knows this: where can I get a recent
Kermit for UNIX?  My old one mysteriously lost the all-important .w
file.

It doesn't seem to be on my friendly neighborhood archive.

--
Mike McNally                                    Lynx Real-Time Systems
uucp: {voder,athsys}!lynx!m5                    phone: 408 370 2233

            Where equal mind and contest equal, go.

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (12/06/89)

In article <425@deadpup.UUCP> paul@deadpup.UUCP (paul) writes:
>the MSDOS
>people want to get data from our just and rightous UNIX machines :-) and
>are finding kermit "too slow."

Are they using a recent Kermit?  C-Kermit 1988 and later can use 1K
packets, which I find to give a 40% throughput increase over the
older limit of 94-byte packets, between a PC running MSDOS+Kermit
2.32/A and a Vax running 4.3BSD+C-Kermit.

-David West         dhw@itivax.iti.org

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/9999999) (12/06/89)

In article <4566@itivax.iti.org>, dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) writes:
> In article <425@deadpup.UUCP> paul@deadpup.UUCP (paul) writes:
> >the MSDOS
> >people want to get data from our just and rightous UNIX machines :-) and
> >are finding kermit "too slow."
>
> Are they using a recent Kermit?  C-Kermit 1988 and later can use 1K
> packets, which I find to give a 40% throughput increase over the
> older limit of 94-byte packets, between a PC running MSDOS+Kermit
> 2.32/A and a Vax running 4.3BSD+C-Kermit.

ZMODEM will still be a little faster under ideal circumstances, but
the real beauty of ZMODEM is when you don't have a perfect (i.e.
phone) connection because of its adaptive packet sizes. It also
supports real-time data compression (for those that don't want to have
to bother using compress before transferring text files). All in all,
ZMODEM is the way to go. UNIX C source is available in one of the MISC
or UNIX-C directories on simtel20. The same source also performs
batch ymodem or xmodem transfers...

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/09/89)

In article <1075@awdprime.UUCP>, ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan/9999999) writes:
> ZMODEM will still be a little faster under ideal circumstances, but
> the real beauty of ZMODEM is when you don't have a perfect (i.e.
> phone) connection because of its adaptive packet sizes. It also
> supports real-time data compression (for those that don't want to have
> to bother using compress before transferring text files). All in all,
> ZMODEM is the way to go. UNIX C source is available in one of the MISC
> or UNIX-C directories on simtel20. The same source also performs
> batch ymodem or xmodem transfers...

I just did some time trials for a project. On a 168k file, Kermit took
25:50, PCI dosserv interface took 14:00 and Zmodem 12:10, using a 2400
bps link. Zmodem has an ASCII mode, as well, that will translate
newlines to CR/LF for MS-DOS machines.

Zmodem is my favorite protocol overall. (and I never use Kermit unless
forced by circumstance;-)
--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "No, I don't live in an igloo!"
[ah, but it's my account... of course I opine!]           -Sourdough's riposte

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (12/10/89)

In article <147@comcon.UUCP> roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>I just did some time trials for a project. On a 168k file, Kermit took
>25:50, PCI dosserv interface took 14:00 and Zmodem 12:10, using a 2400
>bps link. Zmodem has an ASCII mode, as well, that will translate
>newlines to CR/LF for MS-DOS machines.
>
>Zmodem is my favorite protocol overall. (and I never use Kermit unless
>forced by circumstance;-)

   And this is about as it should.  As far as I understand Kermit
protocol only uses the 7-bit half of each bit in the transfers, and
thus looses out in speed.  On the balance, over difficult transfer
circumstances kermit often is the only protocol that gets through.
This is a classical case of different tools for different
circumstances.
   If you are interested in more information, there were some
interesting messages about kermit transfers in the news recently.
You can get them by downloading /pc/ts/tskerm22.arc by anonymous ftp
from our site.  The messages are duplicated with the kind
permissions of the authors.  Tskerm22.arc also contains a number of
MsKermit utilities.
   I also agree with you about the usefulness of z-modem.  The big
problem I have had with it is that I have managed to get only
DSZ1019.ARC version, and Telix z-modem (which I use) work properly.
With all other versions I have had one problem or another (and
although my technical knowledge is limited, I can claim some
experience with file transfer problems).

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (12/28/89)

Can someone direct me to a site that has the source code for
the Kermit version that works on SCO Xenix 2.3.2?? Thank You.

John Palmer
E-Mail: ...!uunet!samsung!sharkey!tygra!jpp
(or try jpp@tygra.UUCP)
--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-446-4698, 300/1200/2400 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'         -

greg@gagme.uucp (Gregory Gulik) (12/30/89)

Speaking of kermit...

Does anyone know if there is a kermit for UNIX that allows one
to 'connect tty##' to a port?

I've done this on a VMS machine.  I could type 'connect ttf4' and
reach an outgoing modem.

-greg

--
Gregory A. Gulik
	greg@gagme.UUCP  ||  ...!jolnet!gagme!greg
	||  gulik@depaul.edu

tuan@ge1cbx.UUCP (Tuan Nguyen) (02/22/90)

I am in need of the latest sources for kermit running under unix as well
as dos.  Can someone please email it to me. Thanks
--
Quotron Systems Inc.    | Phone: (213)302-4259
5454 Beethoven Street   | uucp: trwrb!hacgate!janus!trdrjo!tuan

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/17/90)

    I'm looking for the right place to a: find out what the current
version of kermit is, and b: get the name of the system to get them
from.  All the machines at columbia that claim to have kermit either
have only documents, or refused/garbled communication.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

  "Next time, Jack, write a God-damned memo!" - Jack Ryan - Hunt for Red Oct.

alan@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Al Kiecker) (05/22/91)

I am looking for a version of kermit that is compatible with Honey-DanBer
UUCP (/usr/spool/locks, etc.). The version of kermit that we have is 4C(057).

Any help in locating a more recent version would be appreciated.

						-- al
--
Al Kiecker				UUCP: 	alan@rsvl.unisys.com
UNISYS - Open Architecture & Products		uunet!s5000!alan

fangchin@elaine54.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (05/23/91)

In article <183@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com> alan@s5000.rsvl.unisys.com (Al Kiecker) writes:
>I am looking for a version of kermit that is compatible with Honey-DanBer
>UUCP (/usr/spool/locks, etc.). The version of kermit that we have is 4C(057).
>
>Any help in locating a more recent version would be appreciated.

When you want kermit, there is no better place than watsun.cc.columbia.edu,
THE kermit archive site of Frank De Cruz, the originator of kermit.  I have
put the latest C kermit for Unix on all our platforms, IBM RS6000, SPARC,
NexT, DEC 3100s, 5100s.  The latest version 5A is VERY GOOD and comes with
some nice improvement.  Try it out.  Just ftp it.

ftp -i watsun.cc.columbia.edu
ftp>cd kermit/sw
ftp>mget *

then make "machine type".  Pretty straightforward.

There is no problems whatsoever with HDB UUCP on all machines that we have.

Regards,

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin@leland.stanford.edu

edw@ddd.prepnet.com (Eddie Wyatt) (06/07/91)

Operating system  : VMS 5.4
Currently have    : kermit 32 ver 3.3.117
Looking for       : documentation for kermit
		  : newer version either source or executable for kermit

Please reply directly to me edw@ddd.prepnet.com (129.250.2.100) since I
do not regularly read this group.

						Eddie Wyatt