[comp.sources.wanted] KEYBOARD source code wanted

JesseWest@cup.portal.com (jesse c newcomb) (06/21/91)

Hello!
     I'm building a keyboard for the PC that throws away the antiquated
QWERTY layout from the days of Underwood manual pushrod typewriters and
uses [gasp!] ergonomics instead. My keyboard is based on the idea that
all letters and symbols should be laid out in front of you (no combination
keys), but that they should also be where your hands can get at them.
Punctuation and other symbols are mapped to letter keys so you might hit
[special blue key] plus "E" for a period. Space, return, shift, and some
others are under your thumb...  Anyhow; I'm looking for schematics and
source that I can modify for an 8048 or 8051 keyboard so that I don't
have to start from scratch. Any leads? -Jesse Newcomb, Mt View, CA

penneyj@slc.com (D. Jason Penney) (06/24/91)

In article <43529@cup.portal.com> JesseWest@cup.portal.com (jesse c newcomb) writes:
>Hello!
>     I'm building a keyboard for the PC that throws away the antiquated
>QWERTY layout from the days of Underwood manual pushrod typewriters and
>uses [gasp!] ergonomics instead. My keyboard is based on the idea that
>all letters and symbols should be laid out in front of you (no combination
>keys), but that they should also be where your hands can get at them.
>Punctuation and other symbols are mapped to letter keys so you might hit
>[special blue key] plus "E" for a period. Space, return, shift, and some
>others are under your thumb...  Anyhow; I'm looking for schematics and
>source that I can modify for an 8048 or 8051 keyboard so that I don't
>have to start from scratch. Any leads? -Jesse Newcomb, Mt View, CA

If you're really interested in ergonomics, why not try the Dvorak keyboard?
All the software to convert your PC is already written, plus programs to
help you learn to touch-type, either QWERTY or Dvorak (aoeuidhtns home row).

I append a form letter telling you how to get it.

-----------
Hello.  This is a hastily edited form letter.
The source code you are looking for is available from my MBAS (mail-based
archive server).  I enclose two things:

1) Part of the MBAS index,
2) Help file for the MBAS.

Good luck!

--J
---------------
The pertinent section(s) of the index is(are):

[begin index]
		INDEX of jason-archive as of 28 Jan 1991

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj      3261 Dec  7 10:39 help
	general help using the archive server

index -- this file

[snip]

dvorak/ -- Dvorak support for IBM PC's and the Sun console, plus a tutorial
         program and test data for learning to touch-type either dvorak
         or qwerty.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     37175 Oct 15 09:19 dvorak/ATT-Kbmap
	[from comp.sources.misc]
	"kbmap" is an attempt to modify the AT&T Unix SysV/386 v3.2.2 system
	keyboard map. In particular, it can make minor adjustments to the
	system's keyboard scancodes to allow all "alt" keys to be used in the
	gnuemacs meta-commands. Aside from the system default and emacs maps,
	any keyboard map may be manually added to a "kbmap.table" file.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     56241 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     51507 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data02
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     44805 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data03
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     43184 Mar 21 09:46 dvorak/Data04
	These are the data files for the learning program

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     50964 Mar 21 09:48 dvorak/Ibm01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     33413 Mar 21 09:48 dvorak/Ibm02
	These are the drivers and a BASICA version of the learning program
        for the IBM and compatibles.

	The driver is "smart" -- you can toggle between qwerty and dvorak,
	and even one-handed layouts are available.  It could use more work,
	but I've used it in its current form for years.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     19278 Mar 21 11:34 dvorak/Unix01
	This is the learning program in C and under curses, as well
	as a driver for the Sun console keyboard.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     57644 Jan 29 09:13 dvorak/xdvorak01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     29822 Jan 29 09:13 dvorak/xdvorak02
	Driver stuff to remap DECstation or Sun-4 keyboard under Xwindows
	(or OpenWindows).  Many thanks to Bruce Schuchardt for this.

-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj     55945 Mar 22 16:28 dvorak/Xenix01
-rw-r--r--  1 penneyj      9281 Mar 22 16:28 dvorak/Xenix02
	This is "keybind", a console remapper for Xenix 386 (and presumably
	some SysV variants as well).  No dvorak mapping is included, because
	I can't test it here.  I include it because it looks pretty clear that
	it could be used to implement a Dvorak keyboard.  Note you'll have to
	pick up Unix01 if you want the learning program.

[snip]
[end index]

Here is the help file for my MBAS.  Enjoy!
	      HELP FOR jason-archive, as of 7 Dec 1990

This is a variant of the "kiss" archive server.  Requests to this
server should be addressed to penneyj@slc.com, and include the
phrase, "jason-archive-request" in the subject.

To contact a human, make sure that "jason-archive-request" is NOT in
your Subject: line.

The Subject: line is otherwise ignored.  The remainder of the mail
message should consist of "kiss" commands, one per line.  Lines that do
not form a valid command are ignored.

You may request multiple files in a single mail message.  There is no
advantage in splitting the requests into multiple mail messages.

The server recognizes six commands. They are:

path <path>     This lets the requestor override the address that is normally
		be extracted from the header.  If you do not hear from the
		archiver server within oh, about 2 days, you should consider
		adding a "path" command to your request.  The path describes
		how to mail a message from slc.com to your address.  Overriding
		the path can also reduce uunet charges (see below).

		slc.com is directly connected to ogicse and uunet.  I strongly
		prefer that your replies be routed through ogicse.
		Domain-based addresses are preferred, such as:

		path luser@baz.foo.bar.edu

		(These will be automatically routed through ogicse.)
		An example without domain routing:

		path ogicse!foo!oof!bar!rab!luser

help            This message.  It equivalent to the command "send help".

index           This is equivalent to the command "send index".

send <whatever> The whatever is mailed to you.  Examine the index to see what
		is currently available.  Wildcards are NOT supported -- if you
		want multiple files, you should ask for them separately, one
		per line.

		Filenames are relative to a kiss "data" directory.  All files
		except "index" and "help" are in subdirectories, so you will
		need to prepend a directory path, Unix style.  Filenames are
		case-sensitive.

compress	ALL of the files requested in the current mail message will be
		"compressed" and "xxencoded".  "xxencode" is NOT compatible
		with uuencode, so you will need to acquire misc/Xxencode01
		BEFORE using this.

		xxencode is preferred over uuencode because the latter is
		useless on some BITNET sites using non-ASCII character sets.
		This is related to translation problems in some Internet/Bitnet
		gateways.

		If your system does not have compress, a public domain version
		is available in misc/.

		This is the most economical way to move files, but again,
		you will need to upload misc/Xxencode01 in a separate message,
		and possibly misc/Ncompress01 and misc/Ncompress02 as well.

quit            Nothing past this point is interpreted. This is provided so
		that the occasional lost soul whose signature contains a line
		that looks like a command can still use the server without
		getting a bogus response.

Some Examples:

------
path uunet!frobozz!foo!myname
send misc/Ncompress01
send misc/Ncompress02
send misc/Xxencode01
quit

Sends the "compress" and "xxencode" packages.
------
help
send games/Crypto01
compress
send games/Crypto02

Sends help, Crypto01, and Crypto02 in compressed format.  You will need
Ncompress and Xxencode in order to read the reply.
--
D. Jason Penney           Ph: (503) 629-8383
Beaverton, OR 97006       uucp: ...uunet!servio!penneyj (penneyj@slc.com)