[comp.sources.wanted] sendmail

barsam@eros.ame.arizona.edu (Barsam Marasli) (03/11/88)

Does anybody have "sendmail" that would work on a Masscomp
running RTU V3.1B, and V1.2 compilers ?

Barsam Marasli                  #  Speak slowly, I hear with an accent #
Internet: eros!barsam@arizona.edu
UUCP    : ...{allegra,ihnp4,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!eros!barsam
Bitnet  : barsam@arizrvax

stevo@jane.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Steve Groom) (03/12/88)

In article <453@amethyst.UUCP> eros!barsam@arizona.edu writes:

>Does anybody have "sendmail" that would work on a Masscomp
>running RTU V3.1B, and V1.2 compilers ?

MASSCOMP makes a version of sendmail that is not yet considered
official.  We have been running the unofficial (and unsupported, I
might add) version for about the last year.  At that time we were
running RTU 3.1 and V1.1 compilers, I think, though we're now at RTU
4.0beta, with V1.4 prelim. compilers.

It has had some problems, (for instance, it doesn't handle correctly
addresses with both !'s and @'s on the same line, and since the
addresses it gets usually look like that...), but is mostly usable for
local mail.  That's why we hounded them for a copy in the first place.
Without sendmail, our MASSCOMP would be unable to communicate with the
rest of our world (mostly Suns), and the odds are against Sun wanting
to supply a MASSCOMP-compatible mailer :-).

From what I understand, RTU 4.0 (early summer 88?) is going to include
Sendmail.  The 4.0 beta kit we got included sendmail, but it was so
broken (the install kit had bad files in it, and put things in bad
places - i.e.  trashed /bin/mail, etc.) we had to claw our way back to
our unsupported prerelease version.  They later told me that sendmail
was not supposed to be included in the beta release, and to ignore it.
Ha!  These people printed and sent me some of the best documentation on
the sendmail config file I've ever seen, and then they say, "oops, we
didn't mean to print that and send it to you."  I think that it was
just busted, and rather than getting into problems fixing it for
everyone they just said "sorry, just ignore that stuff."  Remember, this
will be (is?) their first official release of sendmail, so many of
their customers may never have seen sendmail before.

Anyway, when they fix it, you'll have it.

BTW, we had to really pester them for our prerelease version. I don't
expect they'll be too anxious to give it to anyone, especially if the
official release is right around the corner.

-steve
/* Steve Groom, MS 168-522, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA 91109
 * Internet: stevo@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov   UUCP: {ames,cit-vax}!elroy!stevo
 * Disclaimer: (thick German accent) "I know noothingg! Noothingg!"
 */

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (03/12/88)

>From what I understand, RTU 4.0 (early summer 88?) is going to include
>Sendmail. ...
An article in comp.sys.masscomp said that the supported mailer for RTU4.0
will be MMDF, and that sendmail will probably be available as an
unsupported program.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

fischer@utower.netmbx.de (Axel Fischer) (07/01/91)

Hello,
I'm looking for a sendmail source (or Binary) already ported to ISC 386/ix
2.2.1 with TCP.

Please reply via mail.

Thanks,
	Axel
--
 fischer@utower.netmbx.de  /  fischer@netmbx.de
 DoD #0228  OMK #1043  '91 Honda CBR600F                Go fast - take chances