[comp.graphics] Y positive up or down?

simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) (11/11/86)

> In article <7291@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>To quote from "Hardware/Software Trade-offs for Bitmap Graphics
>>on the Blit", Pike/Locanthi/Reiser, Software-Practice&Experience Feb 1985:
>>
>>" ... All bitmaps share a single
>>coordinate space, with (0,0) in the upper left. ... "
>
> Ah, but in the ACM TOG, Apr 1983 Rob used 1st-quadrant.  It is worth
> noting that almost all the algorithms are independent of this convention.
> (Exercise:  Find the one that isn't.)
i'm told, but i haven't had the heart to look, that where it bites you in the
bum is in scrolling. apparently, my layers implementation got that wrong, so
i assume that that is where the dependency lies.
[the mental scars of getting what i did get working
working still have not healed]
--
Simon Kenyon
EUnet: simon@einode.UUCP