[comp.graphics] 3d objects posted...Merry Christmas!

rost@decwrl.DEC.COM (Randi Rost) (12/13/86)

I have posted most of our useful 3D graphics databases to net.sources
along with a document that describes the format that they are in.
Below is a list of what was posted to net.sources.

I have created a library of C routines for reading/writing/creating
Object File Format files.  This will be released internally at DEC
in conjunction with the XModel demo program (in about 2 months).
I'm not sure about distributing the sources on the network, but if
there is enough demand, perhaps I can twist some upper-management
arms to let me do such a thing.  I would appreciate sources for any
tools that anyone develops to convert or manipulate objects in this format.

part1:	document and README
part2:	bottle1
	champagne
	cone
	cube
part3:	epcot3
	fractal1
	fractal2
	socbal
part4:	spring
	vcube
part5:	goblet
	sphere3
	vw
part6:	dart
	glass5
part7:	dart (part 2)
	dragon
part8:	glass1
	glass2
	glass3
	mushroom
part9:	glass4
	glass6
part10:	x29
	sticks

amamaral@elrond.UUCP (Alan Amaral) (12/16/86)

In article <6901@decwrl.DEC.COM>, rost@decwrl.DEC.COM (Randi Rost) writes:

> I have posted most of our useful 3D graphics databases to net.sources
> along with a document that describes the format that they are in.
>
> I have created a library of C routines for reading/writing/creating
> Object File Format files...
> I'm not sure about distributing the sources on the network, but if
> there is enough demand, perhaps I can twist some upper-management
> arms to let me do such a thing.

Please do post the sources if humanly possible.  I have been looking for
some reasonable file format that I can use where I stand a snowballs chance
in hell of exchanging info with others easily.  This seems to fit the
bill fairly well as far as my application (ray tracing) is concerned.  I
would really hate to have to reinvent the wheel (which I've already
started to do in a limited way) if there already exists something that I
can get a hold of easily.  Posting the sources would help guarantee that
more people would use this file format and might help spawn a
comp.graphics.objects which I for one could use desperately.

Al Amaral
--
uucp:	 ...decvax!elrond!amamaral		I would rather be a
phone:	 (603) 885-8075				fool than a king...

fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) (12/18/86)

In article <507@elrond.UUCP> amamaral@elrond.UUCP (Alan Amaral) writes:
>Please do post the sources if humanly possible.  I have been looking for
>some reasonable file format that I can use where I stand a snowballs chance
>in hell of exchanging info with others easily.  This seems to fit the

You might want to check out the "IFF" format used by most programs on
the Commodore Amiga.  The code for reading and writing files is
public domain.  You can see a written spec by finding your closest
computer literature store and looking in the "Amiga ROM Kernel Manual"
(a two volume set).

-Fred
Fred Fish  Motorola Computer Division, 3013 S 52nd St, Tempe, Az 85282  USA
{seismo!noao!mcdsun,hplabs!well}!fnf    (602) 438-5976

chapman@fornax.uucp (John Chapman) (12/19/86)

> I have posted most of our useful 3D graphics databases to net.sources
> along with a document that describes the format that they are in.

We did not seem to get the first 5 files of this posting. I have a use
for the information so I would appreciate if someone could offer to
email them to me.  Thanks in advance,

		john chapman

{watmath,ihnp4,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!sfucmpt!sfulccr!chapman

School of Computing Science
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C.
Canada
V5A 1S6

falk%peregrine@Sun.COM (Ed Falk) (12/20/86)

In article <213@mcdsun.UUCP> fnf@mcdsun.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <507@elrond.UUCP> amamaral@elrond.UUCP (Alan Amaral) writes:
>>Please do post the sources if humanly possible.  I have been looking for
>>some reasonable file format that I can use where I stand a snowballs chance
>>in hell of exchanging info with others easily.  This seems to fit the
>
>You might want to check out the "IFF" format used by most programs on
>the Commodore Amiga.

There's a couple of issues that need to be addressed in computer graphics:
standards for model description and for image storage.  Hopefully, they
will evolve on their own before some committee does it.

I'd like to do a survey.  What are the commonly used file formats for
model descriptions and images?  I know of the model description format
used at CalTech and the image file format defined in the sun man pages.

		-ed falk, sun microsystems

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (12/24/86)

From: jon@oddhack.Caltech.Edu (Jon Leech)

In article <10712@sun.uucp> falk@sun.UUCP (Ed Falk) writes:
>There's a couple of issues that need to be addressed in computer graphics:
>standards for model description and for image storage.  Hopefully, they
>will evolve on their own before some committee does it.
>
>I'd like to do a survey.  What are the commonly used file formats for
>model descriptions and images?  I know of the model description format
>used at CalTech and the image file format defined in the sun man pages.

	Actually, we use N different database formats where N is > the number
of people in the graphics group writing modeling and rendering software
(5 or 6). Sad but true. Our main modeling program has different hooks to
spit out the correct format for all the major rendering programs.

	For image storage, we use two formats: Raster Technology command
bytestreams (for practical purposes - just 'cat' them at the frame buffer
device), and the Lucasfilm/Pixar format as extended locally for bitmapped
images. Neither of these is really adequate for our needs as they stand,
but we get along. Part of the problem with image storage standards is that
they tend to be dictated by whatever operations are efficient on the hardware
the original implementor has handy. This leads to problems as more hardware
is acquired. For example, people here used the Rastertech format alot because
images went up several times faster than with the program which translated
the Pixar format files. Then we got more (non-Rastertech) frame buffers.
Unwilling to change their code, people wrote Rastertech emulation programs
instead.

	Trying to come up with standards for this sort of thing is likely
to be as successful as convincing everyone to program in the same language.
There are wildly different goals and methods of accomplishing them and any
design by committee is going to be ignored (at least here). An example is
GKS: it's far too complex for what we want to do, it's not clear if it's
supported on all our devices, and it costs big bucks in some cases. So it's
ignored here.

    -- Jon Leech (jon@csvax.caltech.edu || ...seismo!cit-vax!jon)
    Caltech Computer Science Graphics Group
    __@/