[comp.graphics] Computer grasphics history

posdamer@wucs2.UUCP (03/06/87)

My request for information about the infamous mandrill was answered by the
following (edited) mail). For posterity:

I can't help with the mandrill, but we found the original for the woman
with the feather in her hat.  Check out Miss November, 1972...

Jeff Posdamer inquired about the origins of the mandrill image.  It is
distributed on a mag tape supplied originally by USC (University of Southern
California).  Harry Andrews was a faculty member there at the time.  He also
founded (or co-founded) Comtal.  The actual digitization was presumably
done by an anonymous graduate student.

A related fact:  Another image on the tape shows a woman wearing a hat.
This was the basis for the poster that appeared at SIGGRAPH '86 as the
winner of the Raster Technology contest.  The original source of the
image is a Playboy centerfold.  A recent issue of Playboy contains a
recap of all centerfolds.  (One of our graduate students told me this.  He
also managed to locate a back issue of the original, which has been
digitized.)

From seismo!weitek.UUCP!wallis Mon Feb 23 19:36:35 1987
From: wallis@weitek.UUCP (Bob Wallis)

>in the fog and I am not sure I believed it at the time. Does anyone out
>there KNOW (not guess or speculate) where, when and who digitized the
>mandrill.

That was me and a fellow named and Mark Sanders, some time back in the early
70s.  I was one Bill Pratt's graduate students, and we scanned the monkey off
the back page of a photography magazine, I think it was a advertisement for a
Graphlex camera. We used a Muirhead drum scanner which was originally designed
for use with a fax machine. The display we had was made by John Tahl when he
was at Aerojet (the refresh memory was a magnetic drum).  He later started his
own company (Comtal), and adopted the mandrill image as sort of a logo.  Harry
Andrews ensured the image's immortality by including it among the standard USC
test images that have ended up everywhere.

Mark Sanders died in about 1975.

Bob Wallis

UUCP: {pyramid,turtlevax,cae780}!weitek!wallis
From seismo!sun!cmcmanis@wucs1 Fri Mar  6 03:34:25 1987

The Mandrill was digitized on a Muirhead image scanner at the Image
Processing Institute at the University of So. Calif. At the time
Harry Andrews was the director of the Institute. He was later succeeded
by Dr. Allan Pratt. I worked their from Sept '78 to Feb '84 and
re-digitized it on an Optronics scanner. It is included in the
Institutes database of color pictures and was a particularly good
example of high frequencies in a color image. Harry later went to
work for Comtal, Dr. Pratt started ViCom, and now Dr. Sawchuk
runs the place. Last time I checked the original picture was still
in the lab in a drawer.

--
--Chuck McManis