[comp.graphics] Colour perception

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <505@ubu.warwick.UUCP> rolf@warwick.UUCP (Rolf Howarth) writes:
>I thought I'd ask if anyone could explain to me how the human brain
>perceives colour.

>red + green light "gives you yellow", where "yellow" is also what you see
>at a particular position in the spectrum (when you shine white light
>through a prism). As far as I understand it, these two "yellows" are different
>spectroscopically , yet the eye perceives them to be the same colour.

The human eye has three kinds of color receptors; each one is sensitive
to a range of colors but has a peak near the colors red, green, and blue,
respectively. These are more accurately called long, medium, and short
wavelength receptors (since there is less implication that they respond
to only a single pure color). If a red receptor receives exactly two
monochromatic frequencies (say from a controlled source like a laser)
that cause it to produce a 1 picovolt signal, then the brain has no way
of distinguishing that signal from the same red receptor stimulated with
a single wavelength that is by itself strong enough to also produce a
1 picovolt signal. That particular example assumes that the wavelengths
in question fall outside of the spectrum that the blue and green receptors
respond to, to simplify the issue.

In general, if a receptor receives a mix of frequencies that cause it to
output a signal of strength N, then there will be an infinite number of
other mixes of similar frequencies that also produce a signal of strength
N. That's because it only gives output depending on overall signal strength,
there is no way for it to figure out exactly which frequencies caused the
stimulation. The cones that are used in human night vision behave the same
way, but are receptive to a broader range of colors. Still, they only give
out a signal that shows relative intensity. Thus colors fade as things
get darker, and when it gets too dark to stimulate our color sensitive
rods, we depend on our cones for vision. Since there's only one kind of
cone, this gives us black and white images. They are more sensitive to
dim light than rods because they respond to any visible color. So you
get increased sensitivity at the expense of color resolution.

Back to rods: each rod behaves like a cone, but only over a narrow range
of frequencies. Thus the brain receives signals from the rods that indicate
the relative intensity of light, as broken up into the categories red, green,
and blue. The three types of rods are distributed around the retina somewhat
the way that a color tv has triads of red, green, and blue phosphors. (The
distribution of rods in the eye is not quite so geometrically perfect as
a tv, for interesting reasons, but that's a different story)

Imagine that a yellow image falls on the retina. It will stimulate both
the green and red rods (since they are both somewhat sensitive to this
wavelength, even though not as much as they are to green or red). Both
types of rods will give an output signal to the brain in response. Now
imagine that an image that is a mixture of green and red falls on the
retina. The green stimulates the green-sensitive rod, and the red
stimulates the red-sensitive rod. So again, both types of rods give an
output signal. If the intensity of the green and red lights are at the
right level, then these output signals will have exactly the same intensity
that they did when the yellow light was shining on the retina.

Given the same signal to the brain, the brain cannot tell the difference
between these two scenarios. That's why a mixture of green and red looks
yellow to a human being, despite the fact that a spectrometer will easily
show the difference.

You might think that we are missing out on a lot of interesting color
perceptions because of this. After all, the ear's ability to hear chords
of music is one of the things that makes music so interesting. A single
voice melody is not as richly interesting as a whole orchestra. But while
this seems logical in the abstract, it turns out that, in terms of what
is available to be perceived in the natural environment, we aren't missing
much.

This is because of the nature of the types of reflective surfaces in the
world. Any flower that reflects yellow light is pretty likely to reflect
red and green, too. So even if we saw "chords" of color, the flower would
still look yellow. If you do a 3D histogram of all the colors that appear
in a digitized image of a natural scene, you will find that they all tend
to clump around a plane running from one diagonal to the other, in a
fairly even distribution. In order for "chords" of colors to really
make a difference, you would need a distribution that had the same sharp
boundaries and clusters as the notes in a symphonic score, and this just
doesn't happen. Natural surfaces don't tend to behave that way. Thus
our color vision is well suited to our natural environment.

See:
	Human Color Vision, R.M. Boynton (1979)
	Visual Perception, T.N. Cornsweet (1970)
	Handbook of Perception, ed. J. Thomas (1986)
	Color Science, G. Wyszecki & W.S. Stiles (1982)

References from Prof. Brian Wandell, Stanford Psych. dept. who was one
of a panel of speakers on color perception at a recent SIGGRAPH local
chapter meeting.

As for your question about how a TV image might appear to someone with
a color defect, yes, there are sometimes differences in perception. However,
they are almost never as dramatic as the scenario you offer, because the
human brain is extremely good at adapting to whatever input it has. After
all, a banana still looks like a banana on a black and white TV (usually!).
But some of the simpler tests for color blindness do involve multicolored
images with controlled grey scale equivalences for the different colors.
Anyone lacking a particular receptor will not be able to distinguish the
corresponding color from the background. He will still SEE it, but it
won't look different than the carefully-chosen background. It is uncommon
to find natural images with this property, so people deficient in only
one type of rod are often not really aware that their vision is different
until they are tested, because their brain adapts so well.
	Doug Merritt

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/13/87)

In my posting explaining the basics of color perception, I consistently
made the error of switching the terms "rod" and "cone" (my upcoming article
on low-level brain damage will explain why).

If you switch these terms throughout the article, it will be improved, and
perhaps even correct. So: cones come in three color-sensitive flavors,
while there is only one kind of rod which is used in dim lighting.
	Doug

michael@crlt.UUCP (Michael McClary) (03/16/87)

In article <505@ubu.warwick.UUCP> rolf@warwick.UUCP (Rolf Howarth) writes:
>I thought I'd ask if anyone could explain to me how the human brain
>perceives colour.

>red + green light "gives you yellow", where "yellow" is also what you see
>at a particular position in the spectrum (when you shine white light
>through a prism). As far as I understand it, these two "yellows" are different
>spectroscopically , yet the eye perceives them to be the same colour.

In article <8703121101.AA09386@ingres.Berkeley.EDU>,
hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) replies with a lengthly
discussion of the mechanism of color perception.  The main point is
that the color sensation is derived from data collected by three
groups of narrow-band light-sensing cells in the retina, called
"cones", which have peaks of spectral sensitivity in the red, blue,
and green.  It might be possible to draw incorrect answers to Rolf's
questions from Doug's entry, however.

(I have only Doug's reply available, unfortunately - we've been having
trouble with our news software lately.  Please exscuse me if I'm off
in the ozone because I made a bad inferrence about what Rolf asked.)

Pure colors of different frequencies stimulate the three types of
cones in amounts that are a function of the product of their intensity
and how much they are absorbed by a sensitive chemical (called a
"pigment") in the cone.  Different types of cones have different
pigments with different curves of light-absorption versus frequency.
The sensitivity curves of the various pigments overlap, preventing
"holes" in the response.  Thus green light stimulates the green cones
a lot and the blue and red cones very little, while yellow light
stimulates both the blue and green conse considerably and the red
cones very little.  The brain 'thinks' "Buncha blue, buncha green,
tiny bit of red.  Aha!  It's yellow!"

For most colors of light (which are mixes of various colors already),
you can approximate the result in the cones by mixing appropriate amounts
of three colors of light, tuned to the responses of the three types of
cones.  For very pure spectral colors located between the various
spectral peaks of the cone responses, you can't quite do it, because
the approximating colors stimulate the third receptor more than the pure
spectral light you're trying to model does.  (I believe this is most
apparent with yellow, and is why you can't get a very good pure yellow
from a color TV.)  There is an additional effect, caused by the
approximation not quite stimulating the rods (the very sensitive
black-and-white broadband receptors) correctly, but this is minor
because the visual processing gives priority to the cones when light
levels are sufficient to operate them.

As to color-blind people, color-blindness comes in many forms.
Some are just missing one or more visual pigment.  The remaining color
pigments are stimulated in the same way as their counterparts in the
normally-sighted, so the TV image they see is about as good a match as
that seen by the normally-sighted.  (They might have more participation
from the rods in the color sensation, however, which could distort things
a little bit.)

In others, one or more of the cones have a mutated pigment - either another
copy of one from a different type of cone, or one which has an abnormal
sensitivity curve.  If they have, say, a copy of the green pigment in the
blue receptors, they still get about the same image off a TV as they get
from the real-world.  If they have something with a sensitivity peak far
from TV's standard colors, though, (a yellow-sensitve pigment in the blue
cones, for instance) they get serious color distortion.  It would probably
be possible to design a special television system for these people, with
phospors and camera color filters that match their eyes, but it would
be dreadfully expensive to do so, and would yeild similarly bad color
distortion when viewed by the rest of us.

  "I've got code in my node."	| UUCP:  ...!ihnp4!itivax!node!michael
				| AUDIO: (313) 973-8787
	Michael McClary		| SNAIL: 2091 Chalmers, Ann Arbor MI 48104

Above opinions are the official position of McClary Associates.  Customers
may have opinions of their own, which are given all the attention paid for.

malley@utah-gr.UUCP (Thomas J. V. Malley) (03/16/87)

Some interesting reading on this subject can be found in:
    	Faugeras, O.D., "Digital Color Image Processing Within the
	Framework of a Human Visual Model",  IEEE Trans. on Acoustics,
	Speech, and Signal Processing,  vol. ASSP-27, no. 4, August 1979
or in Faugeras' dissertation (6/76, Univ. of Utah).
--
"When the going gets weird, the weird don't notice."