[comp.graphics] Textbook on Solid Modeling

thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (04/10/87)

As far as I know, the only textbook devoted exclusively to solid
modeling is:

	"Introduction to Solid Modeling"
	Mantyla, Martti J
	ISBN 0-88175-108-1
	Dec. 86
	Computer Science Press
	Rockville, MD

Unfortunately, I have never seen this book and the local university
library and bookstore do not stock it.

Would some kind soul please mail me a brief synopsis and pricing
information? I'd appreciate it.

Ken

--
     /\
  /\/  \/\

hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <808@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> thornton@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ken Thornton) writes:
>As far as I know, the only textbook devoted exclusively to solid
>modeling is:
>
>	"Introduction to Solid Modeling"
>	Mantyla, Martti J
>	ISBN 0-88175-108-1
>	Dec. 86
>	Computer Science Press
>	Rockville, MD

Another goodie is :

	"Geometric Modeling"
	Mortenson, Micheal E
	ISBN 0-471-88279-8
	1985
	John Wiley & Sons

Its a pretty good book. It excells at giving a nice intuitive feel for
many aspects of modeling. I've been taking a course which uses it, and
other then the fact that some of the problems at the end of the chapters
are a little screwed up, I'd reccomend it. It does have the nice
attribute that many problems consist of writting little code bits to do
simple things. If you go through the book, then by the time you are
done, you will have a nice little librarry of routines. No rendering
stuff, just geometric modeling.