[comp.graphics] Preview devices

hutch@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Jim Hutchison) (04/20/87)

<>
more color.

Has anyone considered more color?  During the recent Amiga ray-tracing/color
article landslide, I noticed a cry for 24 bits instead of 12.  (The Amiga
folks realized that they might need bigger screens, so you can scroll bitmaps
larger than the screen (fast).  This is just a sidebar)

So now what about higher color quality?  I have heard that film can take as
many as 40-50 bits of color.  Well?  Guess I get to make 6 passes on the QCR.
How to do it though?  A pass of 24, 24, and XX?

--
    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!hutch
		    		ARPA:	Hutch@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

hedley@cbmvax.cbm.UUCP (Hedley Davis) (04/22/87)

<munch>
hutch@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Jim Hutchison) writes:

>Has anyone considered more color?  During the recent Amiga ray-tracing/color
>article landslide, I noticed a cry for 24 bits instead of 12.

Yep, you bet. We have a 'planned' expansion path for the architecture
which does include better color. However, other enhancements are in line
before we get to this one. So do not hold your breath. Also keep in mind
that the Amiga is primarily an NTSC video box, not a film box. I'm
sorry, but if you want Lucasfilm quality, you'll have to go elsewhere.

As a breif aside, you should look at the '83 SIGGRAPH proceedings which
contains a ( now classic ) article describing color compression in
images. The article deals with the 'Median Cut' algolrithm for color
table entry allocation. Very impressive two bit per pixel color images
are presented.

If you use the techniques in this article, and the hold and modify mode
of the amiga, you can acheive surprising results. Sure this is compute
intensive, but it can give you some of the best results I've ever seen
on an Amiga.

Hedley

lmiller@venera.isi.edu (Larry Miller) (04/23/87)

In article <1709@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> hedley@cbmvax.UUCP (Hedley Davis) writes:
><munch>
>
>As a breif aside, you should look at the '83 SIGGRAPH proceedings which
>contains a ( now classic ) article describing color compression in
>images. The article deals with the 'Median Cut' algolrithm for color
>table entry allocation. Very impressive two bit per pixel color images
>are presented.
>
>If you use the techniques in this article, and the hold and modify mode
>of the amiga, you can acheive surprising results. Sure this is compute
>intensive, but it can give you some of the best results I've ever seen
>on an Amiga.
>
>Hedley

Here is a citation (in refer format) to another article by the same author,
describing the technique.  I've implemented this on 24 bit/pixel digitized
maps on an IRIS, reduced to 4 bits per pixel.  The results, however, were
not too good.  It was necessary to change the algorithm somewhat to allow
for very low frequency shades being retained in the image (lat/long lines,
for example).

Larry Miller
lmiller@venera.isi.edu

--------------------------- CUT HERE ---------------------------------
%A Paul Heckbert
%T Color Image Quantization for Frame Buffer Display
%J Computer Graphics
%D July, 1982
%V 16
%N 3
%P 297-307
%K Graphics, Dither, Color images
%X Presents a method for selecting the N best colors to represent an image
digitized at M (M >> N) colors.  The methods presented are ``uniform
quantization'' and ``median cut.''  In uniform quantization, the N most
frequent colors are selected.  Median cut uses an adaptvie algorithm to
find the N ``best'' colors, and generally produces better results.  Typical
quantization levels are eight bits per pixel.  Dithering also increases the
quality of the final images.