[comp.graphics] Graphics libraries that compete with DISSPLA

hsg@duke.UUCP (04/23/87)

Can anyone recommend alternatives to DISSPLA for general purpose
graphic packages? My own needs are the display of output from
supercomputer simulations. Typically, I want to plot contour
plots or 3D perspective plots of data with color and labels.
DISSPLA will do the trick, but is extremely expensive to bring
up on a mainframe. I will summarize to the net if others are
interested. Thanks

lamaster@pioneer.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <9533@duke.cs.duke.edu> hsg@duke.cs.duke.edu (Henry Greenside)
writes:

>Can anyone recommend alternatives to DISSPLA for general purpose
>graphic packages? My own needs are the display of output from
>supercomputer simulations. Typically, I want to plot contour
>plots or 3D perspective plots of data with color and labels.
>DISSPLA will do the trick, but is extremely expensive to bring
>up on a mainframe. I will summarize to the net if others are
>interested. Thanks

DI3000 is also recommended but is also expensive like DISSPLA.  If you can't
afford a commercial graphics package, you might consider GKS.  There is a
partial implementation of GKS available in the public domain (possibly
available through DECUS or DEC's user software distribution catalog).  Both
PVI and ISSCO (now Computer Associates) have companion GKS implementations, so
you might even have a portable program.  Also, lots of sites use NCARLIB (from
the National Center for Atmospheric Research, in Boulder, Colo.)

What mainframe are you running on?

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP {seismo,topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
  NASA Ames Research Center                ames!pioneer!lamaster
  Moffett Field, CA 94035    ARPA lamaster@ames-pioneer.arpa
  Phone:  (415)694-6117      ARPA lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

"In order to promise genuine progress, the acronym RISC should stand
for REGULAR (not reduced) instruction set computer." - Wirth

("Any opinions expressed herein are solely the responsibility of the
author and do not represent the opinions of NASA or the U.S. Government")